1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK amp settings.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, Jun 18, 2007.

1. right, i cant find the sound i want by random twiddling with the settings, anyone out there got a GK i'm sure you do!

i want a setting that gives me a slightly fat sound but still with some definition.

the main problem is finger noises (like when you move up a 'power' chord without sliding it up and get horroble noises from your fingers dragging on the string, can this be taken off by the amp or do i need to put a lubricant on my strings?

still need the definition though so can anyone help by putting up some settings ideas say 'this at this number, that and that number etc. etc.'?

2. its a GK 400RB-IV 2x10 combo by the way.

3. Well, I can't help you out with the GK amp, unfortunately, but a few things to keep in mind about string noise... Unless it's really bad, most of it is gonna get lost in the mix in a band setting. Of course, if you're playing solo, that doesn't help. You can always try flatwound strings, but that would change your tone entirely, in addition to cutting down on the noise. The eq on GK amps is set at certain frequencies, I believe, so if you weren't able to find a way to cut down on it, the amp's eq probably won't be able to do it alone. If you have a passive bass, rolling back on the tone control should help. If you have an active, try cutting the treble. Lastly, either a fully parametric eq or a graphic eq would probably give you the flexibility you need to dial out the right frequency without affecting the rest of your tone too much (like drastically cutting the highs and high mids on the amp would do). And of course, GK's are known for being pretty bright amps, so this may just be a problem you're gonna have to deal with. Good luck, though!

Brian

4. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    How old are your strings? New strings can do this. Strings that don't have the windings can also do this with some basses. Try taking out some of the high mids on the amp or the bass. I run a 1001rbII and haven't encountered this problem. Also try different muting techniques, both right and left handed. GK's do run a little "hot" on the bright tones, but that's why we love 'em!

5. erm about week old rotosound swing bas steel rounds but not played that much, but is there anything i can do toget them to still sound reasonably bright but not drag so much?

i did notice that i even found them hard to pluck casue they were sort of like sand paper but string wise if you get what i mean, sort of, you can do it but its difficult.

6. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    You need to turn the highs down a little on the amp. I'm not sure if the combos have a passive crossover in the cab but if so turn down the horn(if they have a horn). I usually play my 400RBIV through Avatar 212 with the horn off. Also i recommend starting with the voicing filters turned all the way down and then adjusting them to taste after everything else is set the way you like it.

7. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    I used to use swing basses and I know exactly what you're talking about. I used to put them on my old jazz bass that I used for songs with heavy bass distortion. They used to have a habit of snapping at the ballend on the "A" string too. I would change your strings if you can afford it. In the mean time, a little vaseline on your finger tips and DAMN little on your strings will help. Also check to see if your action isn't too low. Sometimes you'll get the same thing with too high an action as you're struggling to keep the string on the fretboard and pressing too hard. Strings I've had success with are Dean Markleys, especially the blue steels and D'Addarios I use a 105 set and always use wrapped strings to cut down on unwanted string noise.

8. am just about to put some flatwounds on my bass and see if i can get a nice tone from theese.

9. ok, couldnt stand the flatwounds so i'm putting the rotosounds swing bass's back on, are there any ways i can reduce the sliding up the strings finger noises?

10. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Aside from lifting your fingers all the way off the strings, mute, mute, and mute. As the strings break in, you will get less of the finger noise.

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I would say it's more of a technique thing than an amp thing.

12. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Its pretty impossible to just eq out finger noise.

Try sliding your fingers up and down the strings. Notice how the frequency changes? Its not just one frequency that you can notch out, youll have to cut the entire treble range to get rid of it, and that'll change your tone dramatically.

It'll get lost in the mix anyway usually.

13. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    BTW, My GK amp manual has some recommended settings for different styles. While they may not be exactly what you're looking for, I found them to be a good starting point to shorten the twiddling curve.

14. Don't overdo either the Prescence (this boosts extreme highs) or the Contour control (does several things, including boosting highs), along with the Treble setting.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021