Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK/Ampeg/Aguilar?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Here's the deal gentlemen... I have a sizable chunk of cash money sittin in my account which is waiting to be utilized on a new piece of gear. I'm looking to upgrade my head or cab, or change I should say, not sure. To warm up my tone I was thinking of getting an Ampeg SVT410HLF or an SVT-CL but I don't know, I like my GK and don't want to lose its slap tone. I like slap but the band I'm in is all about a fingerstyle tone so until i establish that I like to slap and will do so regularly I'll be pure fingerstyle. Or I was thinking of matching my GK 700RB-II with an Aguilar GS410 or the GK 410RBH. Which of all these will give me the best possible tone for my purposes? Warm, articulate, bottom heavy, good for slap or fingerstyle. I have a feeling it's gonna be the Aguilar or GK but I love the thick warmth of Ampegs.... Who knows, lemme know your instincts guys!

2. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    SVT-CL with an 8-10. IT GETS THE JOB DONE. And glowing tubes are a wonderful thing to behold ;)

3. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    This is a sort of one or none thing bro, it's either a cab, or a head. Besides, I'm not carting an 810 around it's just too big to fit in my Honda and I just don't need the size or volume.

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I honestly dont think the CL would drag down your slap tone so much. I remember seeing Mudvayne in their early days, and Ryan Martinie played through a 2Pro.. and his tone was brilliant as usual. However, his style is far from the funk method of slap.

Chances are there's a dealer near you that carries Ampeg... so I'd give the CL a try before you make a purchase.... see if it's what you want, or what you wanna avoid.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    :hyper: Aguilar!!! :hyper:

...maybe try some 12s :bag:

6. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah, I've actually played through a CL and the SVT410HLF and I really liked both. But I didn' get to slap through it much, I just need to go to GC and sit there in front of the cab and amp with my basses and make it happen for an hour or two a couple times. But I can't try the Aguilar and I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough for an cab that might be revealing. I'd like to try the 12's, and that cab is cheaper, but how would it sound in comparison to some 4-10's? Thanks guys!

7. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Is the SVT410HLF a power hungry cab? I know a lot of cabs that go low, Acme Low B being the king, need a lot of power to be loud and sound good. I'm just curious if 480 watts is enough to really make it pump when I can only actually use about half of that power....

8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Bergantino nv610.

9. why don't you try getting something like a sansamp BDDI or some other sort of "tone box" for much less than a new amp or cabinet? that way you can keep your GK's slap tone as well as warm up your tone for fingerstyle. then when your current band breaks up, you won't be stuck with gear you may not like as much.

robb.

10. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    An excellent point to say the least... I like that idea. Perhaps I'll walk down that road, thanks rcz.

11. de nada.

it kills me to see guys getting rid of gear they like because they can't afford to get another piece and keep the old one, too. for a lot of people, and especially in your case, it's not always an amp or a cabinet that needs to be replaced.

robb.

12. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Actually I wasn't going to get rid of anything at all, just buy something new :D But I'm gonna wait until after my first gig with the new band before I do something drastic and stupid like drop 800 bucks on a cab I don't need.