Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK+Ampeg combo vs Peavey?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by S. Byrnes, Nov 9, 2004.

1. I'm looking into getting a new rig because I'm going to start gigging clubs and parties a lot more. I played through an Ampeg SVT-810E 8x10 cab with a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II head at the rehearsal studio today and it sound awesome. For a little cheaper I could get a Peavey stack: Max 700 head, and 2 410TVX cabs or a 4x10 and a 15, which Ive heard good things about but have no experience with. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Any other suggestions for a stack from $1-$2000 would be appreciated

2. Yeah the 1001RB-II head with a GK 810SBX cabinet :D

3. Let me help out a little and tell you I'm playing in a cover band that plays pop 'rock' (Switchfoot, New Found Glory, Breaking Benjamin, Linkin Park) and I'm also in a metal band. I want a tight sound that can also go low because some of the covers we do use drop C tuning and the low B string, and I always use my fingers to play and slap on a few songs. I'm open to anything really. 2 4x10's, 1 8x10, 4x12, 4x10+1x15, whatever will get the job done best. Thanks

4. saxybill1

saxybill1 Attorney

Nov 9, 2004
    Virginia
    I agree, besides, not being a Peavey fan, the ones you mention are not in the same ballpark. The only peavey amp I ever liked was an old 5050, which still command a high price in used condition, but a good amp, otherwise, Peavey (IMHO) is not what I would consider my dream rig for the following reasons; poor on clarity, bottom falls off and distorts, top end is colored, very heavy cabinets and loud.

Just my 2 cents

5. Tim Foreman from Switchfoot uses the GK 2001RB and a pair of GK 410RBH cabinets. He'll likely be switching to the GK Neo 412 for the next tour.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    How's about the 1001RB and a 210 and a 115 of some kind? Or a 210 and a 112 - and your back will thank me ;)
    If you have to go low, I'd suggest one of these combinations - or something similar.
    Also, you say you are just doing club gigs and parties - this size rig is not to big to carry, but also covers these size of gigs.

7. I was thinking of a GK 410SBX and 115SBX. Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm kind of hesitant because the 410 is a sealed enclosure and the SPL will start falling off in the low notes, but the 15 should make up for that. I was also looking at Avatar but I don't know much about them and have never heard them so I'm a little hesitant. Their 2x12" cab and a 4x10" would make a cool combo if they're any good. Thanks