1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gk + ampeg question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hyp.spec, Sep 20, 2008.

1. hyp.spec

hyp.spec Supporting Member

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    So I've been wondering.

Is the 2nd input jack on an Ampeg 410HE for daisy chaining only, or can I hook up the 2nd jack to the 2nd output on my GK 1001rb

I've tried it and I swear I hear a difference, but is this safe?

2. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    If I get what you are saying (that is both outputs from the 1001RB connected to both jacks on the cab), it should be fine. You will have less loss in the cable since each cable will carry half the current, it's like using a cable that is twice as thick only better because the jacks also see half the current so the cable and jack loss is less. The difference is small but you may notice it. This is why we use high current speakon connectors and heavy cables for our speaker connections.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What?!? We use speakons and heavier cable (btw, not all of us do) because they're safer and don't pull out. It has zip to do with tone.

I don't know any tech reasons for not doing this, but I wouldn't, just because it's not made to do that. But at the very least, I wouldn't do it again unless one of the major tech dudes on here OK's it.

4. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Isn't that really two amps into one cab? Sounds like a bad idea to me, but I'm even less of a tech dude than Jimmy. :)

5. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    It's true that Speakons don't pull out and that is a very good feature but I started using them years ago because of their current capability. 1/4 inch jacks just can't handle the high currents delivered by the 700RB and larger GK heads. Using two cords is a novel idea that never occured to me but it definetly would help in a situation where the cabinet only had 1/4 inch jacks. The cables should be at least 16 GA. As a side note when I was developing the 2000RB the standard 1/4 inch jack I initially used got so hot during burn in I couldn't touch it. That is when I swithced to Speakon's.

6. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    That's interesting and useful information, thanks! By the way, and not to pry, might your user name "rag" be your initials? And if so, would the "g" in "rag" match up with the "G" in GK?

7. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Guilty on all counts.

8. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    Robert (Bob) A. Gallien I assume

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, just wanted to say I've been playing GK for 7 years or so, and they're awesome. Thanks for a spectacular product!

BTW, to the OP, if the jacks of the cabinet are parallel (it should say on the back), and the jacks on the GK are parallel (which I am pretty sure they are), it should be fine. You may notice a difference in tone if your speaker cable has some sort of resistive corrosion or just weak contact. With the two cables, as rag said, you'll be sharing the power load over two jacks and two sets of cables. If it doesn't cause problems, then go for it.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh geez, I'm embarrassed! Maybe I should read the names a little closer before I reply. I'm an idiot!

Well thanks for not being too hard on me, Bob...now where is that electric ass-kicker?!? I need to back myself up to it...

11. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    I have resisted joining in with posts for a long time but I think I can help clear up some things some of the time. My posts will only concern GK. I learn a lot from you guys and am impressed with your general knowledge. I hope I can in my small way add to the general knowledge base.
    Bob

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yes, I think the guy who set the standard for solid state amps can help in some "small" way. We appreciate your input as well as all the manufacturers here, although you should change your SN to Robert A. Gallien, President of Gallien Krueger so I don't make an idiot mistake like that again ;)

13. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    ok.