GK amps and Speakon connectors.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowmid1, Sep 24, 2004.

1. lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I just got a GK 1001rb 2 and I want to use it with my SWR Goliath cabinets. I won't be able to use the horn management system but the way I read the manual, I should be able to use a 2 conductor speaker cable with the Speakon connectors wired +1/-1 and use the woofer amp only. However, the only speakon connectors I could find locally are the NL4FC 4 pole connectors. It seems to me that these 4 pole connectors would work, they would just have 2 unused poles? Am I on the right track here or not?
  2. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think you are. I know very little of speakon but I think they would work fine. You may have to rewire them though.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That depends on the jacks in the cabinet. If -2/+2 are hooked up to anything in the cab, you run a risk for damage.
  4. lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I don't know what could be hooked to +2/-2 in the cab but on bot ends of the cable, +2/-2 would be open poles with nothing connected to them.
  5. av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    That would be correct.......:smug:
    I use the same configuration On my SVT3-Pro to my BSE410....
    Sounds great and no probs. i.e. Bigger is better sometimes......hehe

6. One SWR goliath I checked had -1 bridged to +2 for some reason. DO NOT use a 4-pin cable between a GK head and an SWR cabinet. You can get 2-pin cables everywhere. Try musicians friend if you can't find one anywhere else.
  7. lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I have 12 gauge, 2 conductor speaker cable and I was going to put connectors on the cable myself. However, I could only find the 4 pin connectors locally. The connector would be 4 pin but not the cable. +2/-2 pins on the connector would not be connected to anything in the cable. It seems to me that would be the same as using a 2 pin cable?