Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK amps and Speakon connectors.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowmid1, Sep 24, 2004.

1. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I just got a GK 1001rb 2 and I want to use it with my SWR Goliath cabinets. I won't be able to use the horn management system but the way I read the manual, I should be able to use a 2 conductor speaker cable with the Speakon connectors wired +1/-1 and use the woofer amp only. However, the only speakon connectors I could find locally are the NL4FC 4 pole connectors. It seems to me that these 4 pole connectors would work, they would just have 2 unused poles? Am I on the right track here or not?

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think you are. I know very little of speakon but I think they would work fine. You may have to rewire them though.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That depends on the jacks in the cabinet. If -2/+2 are hooked up to anything in the cab, you run a risk for damage.

4. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I don't know what could be hooked to +2/-2 in the cab but on bot ends of the cable, +2/-2 would be open poles with nothing connected to them.

5. av_rockstar

av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    That would be correct.......:smug:
    I use the same configuration On my SVT3-Pro to my BSE410....
    Sounds great and no probs. i.e. Bigger is better sometimes......hehe

Jeff
    ---------------:bassist:
    http://atuworld.com

6. One SWR goliath I checked had -1 bridged to +2 for some reason. DO NOT use a 4-pin cable between a GK head and an SWR cabinet. You can get 2-pin cables everywhere. Try musicians friend if you can't find one anywhere else.

7. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I have 12 gauge, 2 conductor speaker cable and I was going to put connectors on the cable myself. However, I could only find the 4 pin connectors locally. The connector would be 4 pin but not the cable. +2/-2 pins on the connector would not be connected to anything in the cable. It seems to me that would be the same as using a 2 pin cable?

8. That would work fine.