Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Amps in Gig Racks (Fan on Top)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Sep 16, 2005.

1. I had a question. I bought a travel 2 space rack. It almost is like a gig bag but for rack stuff. My question is, am I going to have problems putting my GK700RB in it since the fan blows out the top of the amp?? There is probably about a 1/4 in of space between the inside of the case and the top of my amp.

Just want to make sure I'm not going to have over heating problems when I play because it cant get enough air.

2. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    so you rack isnt hard its a soft case???? if it is then i dont know but if it was hard style you could cut out a square and go to a pc shop and buy a fan grill to cover it

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    1/4" might be a tad restrictive for the exhaust. I'm supposing GK would say err on the side of caution. Depends on how hard you push it, total impedance of your cabs, and the ambient gig temperature.

4. Its a soft case with a (what looks like) 1/4 in wooden frame inside of it.. I'm running two Aguilar 8ohm 1x12s. I played a gig on Friday with just one Aguilar and had no problems but I'm more worried about it pushing two..

I had also considered cutting a square hole in the wood frame right above the fan and the stitching a mesh grill into the actual softcase part..

5. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    that sounds like something i would do. :)

6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    yea man, cut a hold up top..

attach a grill, but keep the soft part affixed on one end, so its like a flap, sew some velcro along the edges, so you can close it and make a nice seal so its still rugged..

good hustle