Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bluez Dawg, Jan 2, 2006.

1. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I like GK amps, but that one would be capable of home or very quiet practice at the best. The Backline stuff is GK's low end.

2. Cool all I know is Im in love with this model I showed you the backline 210, when I was playing my brand new Cort Artisan model B4 at almost volume one I felt it thru my chest and the floor, he said he didnt want to find otu what this thing could do lol. Ok thanks dude.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I am quite happy with my GK Backline 600 head, which I think is the same electronics as the BL 210 combo (confirm this to make sure). And everybody has different needs for power, which you have to be your own judge of.

4. Aye thanks fdeck, whats the pros and cons of this amp? I know the weight issue. What else?

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Funny you should ask...

www.execpc.com/~fdeck/bass

Note that I only reviewed the head. In terms of the weight, I would find 55 pounds to be rather heavy, because I am not a big strapping lad. But you might have to pay some money to reduce the weight of a 2x10 combo, or... buy the head and find a lighter weight cab for it. If nothing else, breaking up the load into two pieces would make it easier to lift in and out of a car.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  7. Thank yo0u joe for pointing it out, also I'm going to get the backline 112.

8. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    i needed a new practice amp so i picked up the backline 112. so far i am very happy with it. the construction is pretty solid, its very compact but deceptively heavy for its size(which i dont mind). it sounds really good and has nice growl and pretty decent bottom. id venture to say it would be pretty good for blues gigs and small rooms. its pretty feature rich for its price. the distortion channel is pretty cool, has nice sustain and will really saturate. i thought it was a gimmick but it sounds pretty damn good. more so through my passive P style bass(a fender bullet) than my active jazz.

the cab is too small, the port is less than perfect. it sounds much better from across the room than it does up close(bass frequencies are long waves so this makes sense anyhow). it handles a low B okay, but just ok. hey for 279 it wont knock your socks off but its pretty impressive in its own right. it allows the voice of the bass to come through without coloring it. the tone controls are more than adequate and the contour button does its job well. i like it a whole lot more than i thought i was going to and for the cash youll be hard pressed to beat it for sound, power and features.

9. Dave Thank you for the reply, Im just going to stick with the backline 112 at 100 watts, for church we dont need that much anways.

10. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    i think you will be happy with it.
    mine has made in the usa silkscreened on the back. are they assembled here or overseas?

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    You guys should make sure to report on how that GK distortion sounds - I've been tempted to buy a Diesel Dawg ever since I heard about them, but they don't really seem to be the hot topic around here... CLIPS! We need clips.

Joe