1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK and Mesa rig, new cab suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigblondeafro87, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Hey all,

Currently my rig is a GK 700rbII running through a Mesa 4x10 Powerhouse and it isn't putting out the volume I want cleanly. I was playing an outdoor gig this weekend (no PA support- long story) and my gain was at around 12 or 1, the boost was around 9, and the woofer at around 2. The Mesa was distorting rather heavily and it was pretty frustrating.

I love the tone of the cab, but I think its time for a change because its hard to move by myself, getting it in my car sucks, and it isn't loud enough. I play anything from dub to rock to jazz, so I'd like something that can pack some heavy low end, but with a defined high end when needed.

So I plan on taking it to GC and trading it (plus cash) for two cabinets, either a 1x15 and 2x10 or a 2x12 and 2x10. Does anyone have any reccomendations?

Thanks!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I don't think the problem is with the cab, but rather your settings on your amp. Plus, with a single 8 ohm cab, (I assume), you're not getting the most from the amp. First issue I see, is "boost at 9",and "woofer at 2". As a non GK user, those terms mean very little, but seem inappropriate at the same time. Coupled with the fact that the amp runs full @ 4 ohms, I think the problem is not the Powerhouse 410.

3. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    You will notice the biggest change in volume by adding a second cabinet (in my opinion another 4x10 to bring the load to 4 ohms)

You need more surface area (speakers) to push more air.

Was your amp clipping at the input stage?

4. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Rickenboogie,
    The settings are in reference to a clock, right? If so, off is at 6ish on the clock.
    What was your preamp volume at? Not that any of this matters because a 4x10 isn't going to cover anywhere near the bottom end needed outside. I don't think 2 cabs would do it. Still, the cab shouldn't be distorting. Is this distortion someting new? Is your EQ flat on the amp and the bass?
    Wes

5. Yes, the cab is 8 ohm but it is rated at 600 watts if that makes a difference.

The volume knob (mine was at 12 or 1) acts as a 'gain' controlling the preamp volume, and the preamp was not clipping.

The boost is, from what i understand, a distortion which gives the signature GK sound. At the setting I had it at, the distortion is subtle and was not the heavy distortion I was hearing.

My eq (an ART 341 in the effects loop) was basically flat, with a slight cut of the upper highs and rolling off below 63hz. The amp eq was flat as was the eq on my bass.

Another reason why I want to get rid of the 4x10 is that I don't see the point of lugging around big speaker if it won't cover all my needs. Hauling around a 1x15 and 2x10 or 2x12or whatnot will be easier and my head will be running at 4 ohms.

6. I used to run my 1001rb-II into the same cab and yeah, the cab is resonably loud but not loud enough to play outside and was a little too small for a rock band yet annoying to move sometimes like you say (my 610 is actually easier to move), I would look into neo cabs maybe.

7. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Epifani 310 or 410..light and loud, efficient and well balanced. I have a GK 1001 with the 310..keeps up with loud guitars and in most venues.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

OK, here's a thought - ditch the ART EQ - it's really not necessary, and *might* be causing your problem... 2nd, although a 115 and a 210 will be easier to get in and out of a car, they generally won't put out as much sound as a 410 - although getting your amp to see a 4 ohm load will help a bit... Knowing the typical GC inventory, an SVT610-HLF will stand a shot at being a single cab, capable of taking care of all your gigging needs - although asking even that to carry an outdoor gig with no PA support is asking alot...

- georgestrings

9. Thanks for the feedback guys, helpful stuff here.

The ART EQ is very nice for me, because if a room is boomy or weak sounding, I can really dial in my tone more exact. It has a 'Clip' LED that was not lighting up and the volume on that was at five.

Unfortunately the distortion is not something new, it was just unbearably apparent at that gig. Previously with louder groups or volume hungry rooms I would experience some distortion on louder notes.

I don't expect the cab to be perfectly clean for loud volumes outdoors, but the 4x10 just wasn't cutting it at all. We have a PA system of our own and I don't expect to be without PA support often, but I'd like to have a setup with the cabability of loud, clean volume, within reason of course.

This weekend I plan on going out the GC with my bass and amp and testing out some cabs. Today I was doing a lot of browsing on my option and there is some interesting stuff out there. I'll make sure to test out the 6x10 and see how I like it, although I've had some bad experiences with Ampeg cabs/ products in general before. After looking through some stuff, I'm liking the idea of a 2x12 and 2x10 more and more. More speaker area than a 4x10 or 1x15 plus 2x10, very portable (I drive a toyota camry), and I have plenty of options.

10. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I can't run my 700rbII with the vol (preamp gain) more than 11:00. Anymore than that and the pre starts distorting. In fact, I rarely have mine any higher than 9:00. I think the problem is your settings, and not the cab. (I think the manual actually says it starts distorting at noon... and some of that will have to do with how hot your bass is).

Back off of the vol, bring up the boost to about noon, and bring up your master (I love how it grunts once you get it up to about 3:00)...... If more volume is needed, then add another cab (and ear plugs, because that is stupid loud.... your drummer must be using 5 pound sticks).

As far as cab recommendations, I love my GK Neo 212 and 112. It gives me lots of options, and I prefer the sound of a 112 to a 210. But I won't kid you..... most 410's are louder than a 212.

Ljazz