Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Nov 2, 2001.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Specifically the Backline series? I'm looking in to getting the Backline 250(watt) Head along with the Backline 115 cabinet. Anyone know how good these things go as far as sound? I'm not looking for the best damn sounding thing on the planet but I sure want something good... so how's the Backline sound?

2. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    that's a pretty new series - i haven't heard them. i haven't really heard anyone on here talk about them either. i dunno.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I was a long-time GK user, had three separate GK products over the years (800RB, 200MB, and 2000RB).

For the longest time, I would swear by them. Until the day my 2000RB crapped out and GK sat on it for over 6 months under warranty.

I don't have a problem with an occassional bad unit whcih needs a warranty repair. I don't have a problem with them having to send the unit back to GK when the authorized service center can't fix it.

What I DO have a problem with is how the company LIED to me over and over spanning 4 of those 6 months. I was first assured that the item was repaired and had shipped - of course they were unable to furnish a tracking number. Weeks later admitted it never shipped, but was waiting on a new power transformer. Then said they were "making" a new power transformer for it. Then said they had to wait for a production run for the transformer. Then said they were sending me a new unit as a warranty replacement. Then lied and told me they shipped the new unit (again, no tracking #). Then later admitted hadn't sent a new one, and was waiting "on a part" (this was all GK itself, NOT a repair center). Finally, they stopped answering my e-mails and only sent me my unit back after I sent a written demand for a new replacement unit if I didn't receive my repaired unit back within the next 30 days (this was already over 6 months . . .).

The result, they sent me my 2000RB back, still in non-working condition.

I will NEVER buy another GK product . . .

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In general, GK is good stuff...thousands in use all over the world, total road warriors. I've used them many times in supplied backlines at festivals and theater shows and they had a good, solid sound and did the job no muss, no fuss.

BUT

GK have had a few products where the first production runs had problems, Eric's post being a good example. They even dropped a few amps in the past that turned out to be unreliable.

So that said, I would be just a bit wary about the new Backlines. I have not heard one yet so can't comment further.

Unless you really need the features of the Backline head (distortion mainly), I'd suggest a used 400RB as a better purchase. For cabs, I have never felt that was GK's strong point (and in fact you see very few in use despite the large number of heads out there) and would look into other brands instead.

My $0.02 anyway.

5. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    I also owned a GK 2000RB...and had terrible problems with it...sent it to the co. in January--received it in June worked GREAT for 3 months and just died making sounds that I did not know an amp could make!...switched to Mesa Boogie and never looked back...

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Aside from my experience plus this one, I've heard 4 other horror stories about the 2000RB. It was pulled from production, and I think they knew why.

Shame they just wouldn't have come clean on it and offered a replacement or refund. If so, I might still be with GK. My 800RB was like a tank and served me well for over 10 years taking MUCH abuse . . .

7. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Thanks alot. The head has 250 watts and I think its the 4x10 I'll be getting for a cabinet... only question is can this keep up with my guitar player who has a 100 Watt head and a 2x10... might be a 15 Im not sure... maybe even an 18 but yea you all get the picture.

8. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
  9. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Anyone???