1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK, are they any good??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman639, Mar 5, 2008.

1. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    well are they? i never hear to much about them, or any brags on them, i like the looks of the goldline, anyone have or at least tried one, how do they sound, how do they hold up i see they are very low in price, are they low in quality too?
    thanx for your response:confused::meh::eyebrow:

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lots of people around here like 'em. I've never played through one, myself.

3. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    GK is low in price? I wish my wallet agreed with you.

4. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    i knew peple here had some gk,thanx hope i get some feedback from them.

well compared to some other comp they are low in price, but I DO know watt you mean, i bought eden gear, and my wallet looks kinda beat up lol

5. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Hey, my 1988 800RB is sweet! And I scored it in mint shape w/ rack ears for $200. Tell me that's expensive!

The Goldline's are OK at best. I've played through a few and they sound remarkably like Hartke, which I despise. The quality seems good, however.

6. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I love my GK gear and I'll gladly brag about it. There are quite a few big name bass players using GK stuff. Flea, Justin Chancellor, Duff McKagan,Tony Kanal and Johnny Christ being just a few. At that level you can play whatever you want, and I highly doubt they'd pick something low quality. They want to sound good and not worry about they're stuff breaking down despite playing a bunch of shows all over the world on a daily basis during tours. The 800RB is the poster child for GK's reliability and has been a staple of backline companies for two decades at this point.

The Goldline is one step above their base model Backlines. I've never used them, so I can't comment about their quality. Yes in comparison, they are cheap (price wise, not quality wise) . A 1001RB-II is only $600 from RMC and nothing comes close at that price point.

7. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Never played through any it, but I love Flea and J.Chancellor's stuff.

8. MaxZolt

MaxZolt

Aug 21, 2007
    Westport, CT
    My only experience with GK has been with my Backline 210 combo, but I absolutely love it. Great build quality, great sound, and LOUD. I can only imagine what the higher-tier models are like.

9. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    I dont' know the Goldline series, and I think that the Backline is just worth thr few money it costs.

But Artist series are great heads/cabs/combos.
    They have a fair price too.

And the 800RB is a legend in bass amplification, for sure!

10. I can't comment on the cabs but the heads are some of the most durable and nice sounding heads around. I mean, you can get nicer sounding heads but for over a $1,000+ more and then you have the whole dependency issue with them.

I own a GK 700rbII and I have left it in the trunk of my car during -0 temps, +100 temps, played it at 2 ohms accidentally, spilled coke on it, and let it run all night. I still have yet to see even an LED go out in it. Pushes sound out like it was brand new after 3 years of owning it.

I would, however, stay away from the Backline series. They're not the same design and are built with less expensive components. I own a Backline kickback combo practice amp for the home and it's not the best IMO.

11. hills1234

hills1234

May 6, 2007
    NZ
    Never tried the Goldline or Backline ... but I've been using the 700RBII for a year now -- great amp. Really versatile, heaps of power available, great tone shaping - I use it for classic rock, jazz and praise and worship, with a bunch of different basses. Easy to dial a great tone for any gig. The 700 is lower power than the 1001 but more than enough for anything I've needed so far. :)

12. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    GK heads are loud as hell, and even more. ;)

The 800RB with its 300 watts can blow miles away most heads rated at twice or more the power

13. I have a BL600, and it has a very nice clean sound, and fairly loud. The overdrive funtion (distortion) is useless to me, but the clean channel sounds G O O D

14. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I dig my GK gear. Great sound, great dependablity, great prices. And on top of all of that, the resale value appears to be very good. Watch the prices on Ebay sometime..... there are guys paying just a bit less for RB heads than what RMC sells them for!

I play the 700RBII and a Neo 212 cab. It's a killer rig, and all together weighs less than any one of the cabs I used 10 years ago.

Ljazz

15. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    700rb's have been a standard among a lot of pros for a long time. They are ultradurable, get a lot of very usable sounds and are consistent. Like Shure SM 58s, they are something of a standard, that players know what to expect from. As a result, they are spec'd in contracts where the promoter or house supplies the backline more often than any other head.

16. I have two GK 400RB heads made in the 80's and they are both very reliable amplifiers.

They're only rated at 200 watts @ 4 ohms...but I recently AB'd an SWR 400 against one of my old 400 RB's and, although I thought the SWR was a fine amp, it didn't seem to put out twice the power. YMMV.

17. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've got a 1001RBII and love it. Great tone, fairly flexible, crazy tons of power.

I'd definitely consider buying another GK amp at some point, or the 2001rbp preamp with power amps, if I needed to upsize.

18. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    +1 here-- For example, i see backline 600's on Ebay go for $225-$250 when you can buy a new one for $299. And 700rbII's go for $400 when you can buy a new one for $500. Thats pretty good in the Music equip world where alot of times you can usually get 1/2 of what you paid for something.

19. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Just as a testament to the 800RB, despite the fact I own a big fancy Mesa 400+ with expensive tubes and a rack full of junk, I ALWAYS record with just the straight 800RB into my Ampeg cabinet. The sheer roundness of the tone and the grunt from the Boost nob is all I need on record. As far as live use, I always take it as a backup (despite the fact that my Mesa is 100% solid) and I have used it for some very large gigs. GK really underrates their amps. Back when I had an Ampeg SVT6-Pro, rated at 1100 watts, it was barely louder than my GK. I'm not trying to write myths about it, it's the truth. The 800RB's 300 watts goes a LONG way.

20. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I had a GK 1001 for a while and really liked it. It put out a lot of power and tone for a reasonable price $750 brand new. I think they are excellent solid state heads and are very reliable.

I am thinking about getting an 800RB for my arsenal if I can score a good one used.