Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Backline 110 and 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tplyons, Jan 2, 2004.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're new, and as far as I know, only the Backline 115 was available before the new GK lineup, so has anyone tried the smaller combos? Since they're the same circuit as the 400RB, my head of choice, I figured they might be worth looking at for a small, portable rig.

Any input on the 70W GK Backline 110 or the 100W 112? How much do these puppies weigh?

I've heard that they fart a bit with active basses? Dan, shed some light on this?

2. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    I owned a 110 for a few months - traded it in when I bought a proper rig. Really can't recommend it - 70W is a strange size; too big for home practice but useless for a band rehearsal. Might work if you're in an acoustic type jazz, blues, whatever.

Anything over half volume with an active it falls apart- farting is a kind word for the sound.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Anyone try the 112? Right now, I'm just looking for portability, the power isn't really a handicap with the direct out. So anyone?

4. boilerbass

boilerbass

Feb 14, 2003
    Hudson, OH
    I've got the GK 112 Backline. I bought it about a year or so ago. It is loud enough for our practices and very small gigs but not for larger bars un-miked (sp?) It sounds pretty good but I also have the 400RB head and IMO that sounds a lot better. I play my 400RB through an avatar 210 cab. The Backline is very portable though, so I find myself taking it to practaces alot.

The controls look similar but it is not the 400RB. Also, if you want to plug it into another cabenet, you have to unplug the 12" speaker.

Overall I am satisfied with it as a good practice amp, small "coffee house gig" amp.

Hope that helps.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How does the 112 hold up at higher volumes? I've heard it doesn't really react well to active basses. What are you playing through it?

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Backline isn't the same circuit as the 400RB. It uses cheaper components, crappier speakers, etc. If it sounds good to you, go for it. I've heard too many stories of them overheading. Unless you want your amp to look something like this, I would get something else. :meh:

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The basic consensus I'm reading is that they don't react well to active basses, but otherwise are alright. I may give one of these a whirl if I could find one locally. Thanks!

8. boilerbass

boilerbass

Feb 14, 2003
    Hudson, OH
    I play a Warmoth P-bass with 18V active EMG's and a MIM Fender Jazz bass with the standard passive pickups. Both basses have different sounds to them, but I haven't found any problems with either. I think this amp sounds better when it is pushed a little verses when quiet. It haven't really pushed it full blast in a while, because when I need to be loud I use my 400RB, but it seems to me it handled it OK, but did distort at the extreme. Overall, the 400RB has better tone IMO but the Backline is not bad. I've also had no problems with reliability.