1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK Backline 110 or Carvin PB100-10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Firebolt, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Firebolt

Firebolt

Dec 13, 2002
    I have very limited funds (<$300) for an amp to run my upright with a K&K Bass Max and Fishman Pro EQ and a Washburn 5-string electric. I will only be doing our symphony pops concerts, church orchestra, theater pit orchestra and small venue jazz work not needing a lot of volume. I have my choices narrowed down to the GK Backline 110 or the Carvin PB100-10. Any insight on which way I should go?

Thanks!

2. MY experience with Carvin is this; I live in san diego and had an opportunity to vist they're factory showroom, I tried the smaller Carvin combos and felt they had no tone, you have to get into the larger Carvin heads and use non-Carvin cabs to get decent tone, I know cause now I play with a Carvin R600 with an Avatar cab, I used to have a Carvin 4-10 but they're cabs suck so I sold it and got the Avatar, much better. With GK; I played the backline 250 head on a standard GK 410 cab and loved the sound, don't know how the combo would be with a signle 10 but the 250 head seemed to really do a great job for such an inexpensive head. If I didn't have 600 watts of headroom I'd really be looking at the Backline. I doubt you'll get many responses like this so I'll just chock it up to my 2 cents worth....

Jay

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I own the Carvin PB100-15 and a GK Backline 250BL with a GK 410BXL cab. I'd pick the 1x10 combo personally, I like the GK sound alot, and it beats the tone on their combos by a long shot. I can't speak for the heads though.

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    GK all the way.IME Carvin amps that Ihave used have never been able to deliver the tone I was looking for.GK amps on the other hand are hard to get a bad tone out of.Bob Gallien knows his stuff.

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I have a Carvin 1x10 as my practice amp, and I like it. Never tried the GK. The onlyy problem I've had with the Carvin is that I like a really deep, bottomy sound, and sometimes I get air noise from the port. I've never tried it with my upright...