Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Backline 110 or Carvin PB100-10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Firebolt, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Firebolt

Firebolt

Dec 13, 2002
    I have very limited funds (<$300) for an amp to run my upright with a K&K Bass Max and Fishman Pro EQ and a Washburn 5-string electric. I will only be doing our symphony pops concerts, church orchestra, theater pit orchestra and small venue jazz work not needing a lot of volume. I have my choices narrowed down to the GK Backline 110 or the Carvin PB100-10. Any insight on which way I should go?

Thanks!

2. MY experience with Carvin is this; I live in san diego and had an opportunity to vist they're factory showroom, I tried the smaller Carvin combos and felt they had no tone, you have to get into the larger Carvin heads and use non-Carvin cabs to get decent tone, I know cause now I play with a Carvin R600 with an Avatar cab, I used to have a Carvin 4-10 but they're cabs suck so I sold it and got the Avatar, much better. With GK; I played the backline 250 head on a standard GK 410 cab and loved the sound, don't know how the combo would be with a signle 10 but the 250 head seemed to really do a great job for such an inexpensive head. If I didn't have 600 watts of headroom I'd really be looking at the Backline. I doubt you'll get many responses like this so I'll just chock it up to my 2 cents worth....

Jay

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I own the Carvin PB100-15 and a GK Backline 250BL with a GK 410BXL cab. I'd pick the 1x10 combo personally, I like the GK sound alot, and it beats the tone on their combos by a long shot. I can't speak for the heads though.

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    GK all the way.IME Carvin amps that Ihave used have never been able to deliver the tone I was looking for.GK amps on the other hand are hard to get a bad tone out of.Bob Gallien knows his stuff.

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have a Carvin 1x10 as my practice amp, and I like it. Never tried the GK. The onlyy problem I've had with the Carvin is that I like a really deep, bottomy sound, and sometimes I get air noise from the port. I've never tried it with my upright...