1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Backline 110

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VinalTap, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Can anyone here who has experience with these amps give me some of your opinions on it because I am looking to get one but I won't be able to try one for a while.

2. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    I haven't used one personally, but I can tell you that almost hands-down everyone I have talked to or read a review about the Backline cabinets has said the same thing - that these speakers blow EXTREMELY easily and frequently. The backline heads are not bad (I used to own the 600), but IMO you should spring for extra dough and get an SBX series.

3. its only really worth getting the 115 bacline combo, they're the best combo, the heads are great.

the 115 is probably your best bet, and they dont blow really easiy, my ass teacher used one as his main amp for agesss, i think be still has it.

4. Thanks, I didn't think they blew the pseakers easily based on all the posistive reviews of them I read. I won't be able to get the 115 because I don't have the money for it and I don't plan to a whole lot on it seeing as it is my first amp as I just started playing bass days ago.

5. they dont blow speakers easily, i've used all but the 110 combo at high volumes and they didnt distort or anything.

the 112 is pretty good aswell.

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    My experience is limited to trying one in the store, but I was really impressed with the sound from this little amp. The local GC has them for $170. I've never really seen anything as good for that price.

It's not fancy, no effects loop or DI out, but if I were looking for an inexpensive practice amp, I'd grab one.

7. pjwalsh

pjwalsh

May 3, 2006
    Elkton, Md
    I use a BL 110 for playing at home - it is a great little combo. surprisingly loud for such a little thing and at moderate volumes has very nice tone too.

The speaker on mine did blow but it was due misuse on my part: playing at maximum master and 3/4 pre with the fuzz circuit up at about 50% (don't ask... the recording sounded awful even before the speaker went). The clipped signal at near maximum power predictably asked too much of the speaker. Got a replacement paragon 10 cheaply through the shop I purchased at originally. Paragon 10 is by the way a pretty good speaker - looks pretty much like an eminence alpha 10 with more magnet. In spite of this mishap I am still very pleased with this combo. It also makes quite a nice guitar amp and is very loud in that application.

It is not an amp for use at a gig, nowhere near enough power unless you are playing along with unamplified acoustic instruments but it is just fine for practice at lower volume.

8. Thanks for the opinions guys, much appriciated and I will be getting one these amps for my first amp.

9. rhencke

rhencke

Dec 28, 2006
    New Hampshire
    I own one, which I bought very used. If you're a metal player, cruise on over to the larger amps. But if you're a small venue or upright player, the 110 is a dynamite amp that you can throw in a trunk and count on to work just fine. I used it at two outdoor festivals this year, just pull a line out into the main board. In the 70's I was proud to play through TWO cabs, with 4x15 each. Now, I really appreciate that little GK. An engineering marvel!

10. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Bwah-haaa-haaa!!!! :D

11. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    I haven't tried the 110 but have used a Backline 115 combo for two years. I think it is a great little combo with a variety of sounds and quite a lot of punch for it's rating.
    I bought mine second hand, perhaps you could consider that if money is the issue.

Good luck, and let us know what you ended up with.

12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ummmm, the Backline 110 is a micro combo amp, there is no SBX counterpart. I think you might be confused. :)

I had one of these for a while. Sold it to get a Roland Cube Bass 100. Great feature set, but didn't like the tone much, so I decided to try the Cube 30 Bass just for really small stuff and go with a 110/head for slightly bigger needs. Same tone problem, plus I REALLY missed the lack of a kickback, so I started carrying a small folding kickback stand. Got sick of all that, sold it, currently have the Fender Bassman 100 combo. Really nice combo, but despite it's features, the GK still beats it for tone, has comparable output, kicks back, is easier to carry, and costs over $100 less.

Bottom line: I'm going to be selling my Bassman and getting BACK into a GK Backline 110. IMHO, it's the best 110 micro combo value going, and handles a 5 string just fine for a 110. It's perfect for church ensemble.

13. Ste_m3

Ste_m3

Mar 26, 2006
    Northwest UK
    Totally! are we just immature? aha

14. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I used the GK Backline 110 (purchased used in Spring '06) as my main amp for a small house jam/acoustic thing for about 6 months. It's now serving as my practice amp at home and I'm about to take it on vacation with me to play with my nephew in a beach house for 4 days.

Decent tone, easy to carry, enough features for what I use it for.

15. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    It's my practice and jobbing amp - I LOVE THIS AMP! (main rig is GK 1001RB II - BagEnd Q10XD & Sunn Coliseum) - Great tone, very versatile!

16. bassalo

bassalo

Jan 23, 2008
    CT
    FTW

I have the 110 - does the job and then some as a practice amp.

17. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Pretty cool little amp ...

Lots of bang for the buck sounds bigger than it is, used mine for a stage monitor for awhile, or plug in a Boss RV5 verb unit and use it for acoustic guitar too.

Backline110.

:) ... Used as it was intended and within its limits makes a good working mini combo.

18. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I've had a Backline 110 for a few years now (maybe 4 or 5). It's a good little practice amp. Sometimes when a guitarist comes over, they'll use it and it works fine. Something I discovered recently is that you can run a line out to a power amp (I have the QSC 1804) and you get the GK sound with all that power.

19. BluesyCat

BluesyCat I'm irresistible. Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Torrance, California
    Staff: Bass Gear Magazine
    No problems. Love it! Bought mine used too.

20. +1 for all the positive comments, i really like my backline 110.

nice tone, handles a low B, decent volume, not too terribly heavy.