GK Backline 115 combo 1x15 125w?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kiel, May 28, 2003.

1. kiel

kiel Guest

May 28, 2003
    I am planning on gettting a new, not too big, practice amp soon. What I would like to know is if teh GK Backline 115 combo with 1x15 and 125w is a good amp or not.
  2. I haven't seen hardly any backline gear come in for repair and have never seen a 115 combo come in yet. So from a reliability standpoint, it's a very good amp. The next question is will it produce the kind of tone that you're looking for?

What are you looking for specifically in an amp? What kind of gigs do you do, style of music do you play etc?

If possible, make sure you take your own bass in to test it at the store.
  3. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I played through a backline 115, and it was terrible, it could barely handle a low E. Ihe real GK's are much better.
  4. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The backline doesn't go very low at all. It burps and barks pretty easy. I took it back and got the GK1001RB with the 210s instead. Sure it was more than double the price, but the difference in sound is like 6x...or more.
    It seemed to be the speaker more than the actual head that was the issue, but who knows. I have heard good things about the backline 4x10 though. I have never personally heard it.
  5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    that combo cant even hang with a crate 115 combo. saying gk on it doesnt make it a good product.