Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Backline 115 combo speaker buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Hutton, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    hi all,
    i got a GK backline 115 combo with an intermittent speaker problem - a buzz/rattle esp. at low freqs.
    i guess my options are reconing or new speaker - can anyone recommend which i should choose, and if there are any good replacement speakers for this combo (amp was v. cheap, so cost not so important).
    i've done a quick forum search on this but not too thorough so sorry if its covered elsewhere.
    thanx

2. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Are you sure its the speaker and not the chassis or the metal grill, or a face plate?
    I have bought and returned 2 combo amps in the past week because of a rattle or buzz at low notes. An swr wm 15 and a ampeg b100r. Both had buzzes in the control face plate, Unacceptable to me. I know things will buzz and rattle at low notes, but it shouldn't be the combo amp itself. Just seems like poor design and build quality.
    Anyway, check your cab and grill, etc.. Sometimes you have to stick your ear right up to the thing to find the source of the buzz.

3. How long have you had the amp? If it's under warranty, call the factory and get a replacement speaker. If it's not under warranty, call anyway.

4. Is Daniel Elliott on top of things or what!!!!

5. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    I got it used for $100, and the warranty had run out. It's definitely a speaker problem not the grille or anything like that. Could I get a better aftermarket speaker for the same money as a GK factory one? And how much do these speaker normally cost? thx