GK Backline 115 vs. Peavey TNT 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ibanezist, Mar 31, 2002.

1. GK Backline 115

3 vote(s)
  2. Peavey TNT 115

8 vote(s)
  1. Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    GK Backline 115 or the Peavey TNT 115, take your pick. Please explain what you like about the one you prefer.
  2. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Backline 115 it has the 400RB-III features with the distortion circuit of the 2001RB plus it has a better sound in my opinion.
  3. steveg

Feb 26, 2002
    Madison, WI
    TNT115 is too heavy and too mid-rangey for my taste. Had one and traded it for a Hartke Kickback. I think the G-K is also a tilt back design, which I think is a plus.
  4. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Felt obliged to vote for the TNT115, only because I own one. Haven't tried the GK. I'll be selling the TNT soon, to lighten my load (it just gets heavier every year) and "upgrade" to separate components. It's an OK amp, with the BW speaker, but it rolls off at both ends, despite its' 20Hz to 30kHz specs.
  5. Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    which do you think would be best for a hard rock sound and be good for someone who gets aggresive?
  6. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Hmm... well for about the same price you can get the louder Carvin PB200-15 which is 160 watts compared to the TNT's 150w and the GK's 125 but then again the GK has a tilt back design and with an extension speaker the TNT gets 200w. So I would suggest you get the TNT just because you're gonna wanna be as loud as possible. Keep in mind though it's heavier than the other amps mentioned so make sure to take that into consideration. Hope this helps.
  7. Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    Yeah I was lookin at the Carvin until everyone told me the speakers suck and probably wouldn't last very long. So I don't know what to say about that. Also, I play a 5-string so I need somethin that plays a good low B.
  8. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Yeah, my bass is a 5-string and I must say my Carvin PB100-15 doesn't handle it well at all. I can't really comment on the TNT or GK on the 5-string. I still say go with the TNT.
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I own a Peavey TNT. Bought the Carvin mentioned above and returned it immediately. At half the volume of the Peavey the Carvin was breaking up - it sounded horrible. For some reason most combos I've tried break up and start distorting when you crank them - even the more expensive GKs. For loud R&R I honestly think you can't beat the Peavey's for the price. They are a little midrangy and not as warm sounding as others, but they cut though anything. I've bought and returned or sold many amps and keep coming home to my Peavey. The only thing that has me searching for something better is the weight. Oh yeah - people are always commenting on my amp too "you're gonna use THAT!", and then they always wind up saying - I can't believe the sound that comes out of that thing! I recorded with it and when I pulled it into the studio the engineer pleaded with me to use his $2000 setup - I didn't. You can hear the results if ya want by downloading F'd Up on Drugs at the bottom of our homepage (link below). The amp was miked, no direct line.

Oh yeah - get the Black Widow speaker if you get a Peavey - big difference. Good luck.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Carvin may claim a higher power rating, but the TNT is much louder, and handles the low B much better too.

If you are playing loud music on a budget, peavey gives you the most volume for the $$$.