1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK Backline 115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rancidrancid, Apr 7, 2006.

1. jbs

jbs

Jan 30, 2006
    Richmond, MI
    Not my experience. The GK Backline series is not high end Aguilar/Ampeg/Thunderfunk, etc. It's a great amp for the money. However, do not buy just the combo; you need the extension cab for the rig to sound decent at higher volume. I bought the 210 combo w/ 115 cab for my son and together they are adequate for mid-size clubs. The combo by itself is OK for practice, but get the extension cab.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Read my geeky review on the Backline 600 head, which I think has the same preamp section:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~fdeck/bass

My only word of advice is to consider either the 210 combo or the Backline 600 head atop a GK speaker. The reason is that the 300-Watt amp has a cooling fan, so you know from the outset that it can handle a wider range of operating conditions. Also, it is known (confirmed by Dan Elliott) that the 300-Watt amp has the same power amp circuit as one of the Artist series heads, so you are buying a road-tested design.

Without trying to guess what a "high end" amp consists of, my impression is that the BL600 is a professional quality head with some entry level features such as 1/4" speaker jacks, and some fun effects that you may or may not end up using.

I don't know what kind of music you are playing, but one reads a lot of posts on forums about guys who get amps in the 100-W range, and soon come back asking why they can't cut through a band. While I am never one to recommend gigantic stacks, a little bit more power starting out is not a bad investment.

3. jbs

jbs

Jan 30, 2006
    Richmond, MI
    High end, as in high $$ and high-praise (bow down "we are not worthy", etc.) For the weekend warrior, the 210 Backline combo w/115 ext cab is worthwhile without dumping a ton of cash. Go to GC, demo the pair (bring your own bass), and drop $600.00 for brand new warrantied gear, which you can return if you don't like it, but you will. Yeah it has the "overdrive" channel which may not be all that practical, but for the money it's a good deal, IMO. I agree w/ fdeck in that low watts = disappointment for a live band situation, and the 210 combo w/extension cab is an easy move.

4. indykrap

indykrap

Nov 6, 2004
    I really dig the heads, a lot.
    I found the combos to be lacking, a lot.

Use a sansamp with one, and you can do anything you want with it, I've found.

5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I have the GK backline 112 and its crap. I use it for rehearsal and practice at home and never drive it hard and I think itÂ’s dying. It has a distorted sound even at low volume. I would not recommend this amp.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I kinda like this one better!

Or click here.