Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Backline 210 vs Fender Bassman 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Demens, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    A friend of mine asked me about which amp he should get to take to college with him (he will probably play coffee houses and such at college, so doesn't need tons of power). And he was looking at getting the Gallien-Krueger Backline 210 Combo, or the Fender® Bassman® 250/210 Bass Combo.

Could anyone help with some advice on to which is the better buy? And what are the pros/cons of each amp?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i like the GK more... plus its cheaper, so he wont cry as much if it gets messed up.

3. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    Why did you like it more? See, I have never played through the GK, so I don't know what it sounds like...

4. I have an older Bassman 400 2x10 (1999/2000 model). Pros: It has a nice scooped hifi tone without being sterile. Its never broken down on me, even after it fell off a stage. The EQ gives you a lot of control, and the compression helps squash clipping. Cons: The horn is a little hissy. Its rated at 350watts but I think that claim is optimistic. It lacks a ton of midrange. Its expensive.
    Im thinking that they probably changed the name of the combo I have and rated it correctly at 250watts. If i knew what I know now when I purchased the amp, I would've gotten something else, but the Fender served me well for the small stuff(highschool jazzband, jazz trio, blues playing, alternative rock vs a 212 guitar combo, etc.)

Alos check with riksmusic.com for a price on a GK 400rb-IV 2x10 combo.

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I tried a GK Backline 210 last week (ended up buying an Ampeg BA115). The speakers were bottoming out on me while playing at a reasonable volume with an MM Ray. :scowl:

No opinion on the Fender

6. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I dumped my BA115 for the GK 210...never had any issues of the speakers bottoming out.....do you play a 5 string?

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Nope I was using my 4 string Ray. I hear ya on the BA115. Great amp. lousy tweeter.

8. Demens

Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    So... Do you all think the GK would be the better buy? It is cheaper...