1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Backline 600 Bass head or Behringer BX4500H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AlphaMale, Mar 16, 2008.

1. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Basically there is a band death metal band with a tiny bit of Nu Metal, which I don't like, but I don't hate because he's a jazz guitarist so I can't expect 100% brutality when he'd rather groove. - Anyway the band's Musicians are Amazing and I might play with them once I get equipment. A long time ago they told me all I needed was a head because they already have a Cab.
    Now Here is the conundrum their "bassist" is using The http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Backline-600Goldline-4x10-Stack?sku=486004
    Stack, but it isn't loud enough they say, it distorts if you turn it past a certain point. He uses an Fender P-bass. But I'm getting a bass with active electrics so it should be louder, yes or no? I don't know if it would solve the problem or still distort it. I don't know if it is the head or the cab either. Both were new-ish.
    So should I get the GK
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Backline-600-Bass-Head?sku=482534
    Or the Behringer
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-BX4500H-Ultrabass-Bass-Head?sku=481090

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    No-brainer. Backline.

3. Mr. Kitty

Mr. Kitty

Mar 14, 2008
    Go with the backline.

I mean you can do what you want but personally i think behringer in general is really cheap junk and that head especially.

And yes I have played through that head before.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    An active bass won't make it louder. How loud it can get with a given speaker is determined by the output power rating of the head.

Now, there's a problem with that. Different makers use different rating methods. When a power rating has the letters "RMS" after it, the rating refers to a method that, while not formally defined, is probably fairly consistent among different makers. The GK is rated in that way, and I have confirmed its ratings on my test bench.

The BX4500H is rated 450 W, but they don't specify their rating. If it is a so called "peak" rating, it would correspond to 225 W by the RMS method. So the BX4500H could be more powerful than the Backline 600, or less powerful. We don't know.

I have been quite happy with my Backline 600 head, but I am a jazz guy, so I can't really advise on its suitability for any kind of Loud Music.

Hope this helps!

5. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Wow
    Hahah thanks.
    Yeah Behringer has always seemed a bit dishonest, you helped me out. I will choose the backline. Does anyone know any reason why the amp wouldn't have been loud enough like something they could have changed?

6. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Good Lord, what have you people got against music?!?!

Now look, you're absolved if you're between the ages of 15-18, but if not you need either to grow up or become a ward of the state, since you're probably never going to be able to care for yourself properly.

7. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I have owned both. GK is the way. e- Nuff said

8. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    What cab do they have and what's it watt rating? If the current set up isn't loud enough without distorting I would try to find a used GK RB1001 or 2001 head. Just make sure the cab(s) can handle the wattage. The Goldline 410 is only good for 400W, so if you were to use that cab only with one of those heads you would probably blow the speakers pretty quickly

I don't know that the Behringer would be appreciably louder and they have a reputation of being a bit frail, I would stay away from them for this application. I had a behringer 60W combo that was fine for practice but not up to any gigging.

9. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    GK Backline
    none of the Behringer hi-gain hiss and 1/3 the weight

10. I have the 4500. I don't think it is "under rated". What the real question should be is "what do I get out when I crank it". Yes the B is loud and will be heard, but I say once it hits about 10:00 on the vol knob, you are walking down the hill as far as sound quality goes.

Yes it is loud. What is quantity without a quality factor to back it up. (sound wise)

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I ran my BL600 in a pretty hard rock band thru a 6x10 setup and it rocked. I played a 5 string and the B thundered no problems and i had headroom. We did some pretty heavy stuff (originals) and covered a Slayer tune if that kinda shows ya. Go BL600 great budget head.

12. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I am 17 turning 18 but what do you mean?

13. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    If anything, the active bass might make it distort sooner if you don't pad the front end. If you're finding distortion with whichever head you get, make sure you move to the ACTIVE input. The downside to this is you will lose a noticeable amount of volume, but you will be cleaner.

14. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I MEAN, please move on to actual MUSIC. It's amazing to me when people waste their time and talents on this dreck, because of the "instant gratification" that comes from its being incredibly easy to play and thoroughly lacking in any intelligent critical thinking on the part of either "musician" or audience.

Why don't you and the "jazz guitar player" ditch those other guys, find a couple of REAL sidemen, and go do something worthwhile?

(And P.S. If it adds any credibility to my argument, I OWN a GK BL-600, AND a GLX 410 cab, AND a GLX 115 cab, and it is the most wonderful bang-for-the-buck rig I have ever used. The only reason these most erudite potential bandmates of yours think the 4x10 half-stack rig isn't "loud enough" is because "loud" is all they have).

15. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    +1 on this. The Backline 600 head has a -10 dB pad switch on the front end that will help in this regard.

16. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I am sure this is tongue in cheek, but all styles are welcome. I am a jazz player, with classical training, but I played punk rock in high school and I don't regret it.

17. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    My very first album purchased at 14yo was Black Sabbath's "Paranoid." Of course I don't "regret it."

BUT I WAS 14!

I like "heavy metal" for a couple of years, then I moved on. IMOPO, anyone over 18 who is playing this stuff and getting paid for it is just taking the easiest road.

Anyone over 18 who is playing this stuff and NOT getting paid for it has some serious issues.

18. I purchased a GK BL600 about 6 months ago. The contour feature is great, and works well for mid scoop. It has an overdrive (distortion) funtion I find useless, and I'm not quite sure what the boost does. However the amps sound is F a n t a s t i c !!! - quite loud, and Very Clean (300W @ 4ohms). I think it's a great deal, and personally wouldn't go for the Behringer.

19. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    I don't think it is Incredibly easy, things have changed since Black Sabbath

I don't expect you to think it's good. Just not incredibly easy.
    I don't like to play only one style. Sometimes I feel like listening to Fusion, Sometimes I feel like Listening to Death metal. It's fun, it's challenging.

20. GK Backline 600...no question.