Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Backline cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Alexander, Jul 16, 2005.

1. I have been thinking about upgrading to a bigger amp, and I found the Backline series. Are their cabs any good? Im 15, so I really dont have much money to spend. I was thinking about getting their 210BLX or their 210BLX-II, but I dont know what the difference is between the two. The 210BlX is $60 cheaper, but i dont know if it has as much handling as the 210BLX-II. I dont know what head to get though. All I know is that the 210BLX-II is 200W. So going bigger than that would be pretty pointless I think. Please help!

Thanks

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Buy the best you can afford. The 200W that seems like a lot now is nothing in a gigging situation. No joke. My 240W stack often needs PA support. IIRC the 210BLX handles 160W and the BLX-II handles 200W, is built in the same cab, but much better drivers.

3. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I think that an Avatar cab would be much better than a GK backline for about the same money.

4. Agreed. Also if you are only able to afford a single cab, maybe you would prefer a 115 or 212?

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Musician's Fiend is selling the GK Backline 2x10 cabs for $129.00 right now.

I tried one at Mullet Center the other night and almost bought it for $169.00, but the lack of tweeter made me think twice. It sounded good overall.

6. Could someone give me a link to the Avatar cabs? I am gigging right now with just a 65W combo. I have to turn it up all the way for me to be able to hear it because i use it as a monitor, and when I do it sounds terrible. I dont have any money right now, i just need an idea of how much i need to save.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

8. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    No, they aren't. :rolleyes:
    They just want you to think they are. Since you don't get Free Shipping, you get an extra $50 or so extra surcharge for shipping. Read the fine print before buying from places like this, please!

To your original question: The Backline cabs are okay, nothing special. They'll beat the Behringer cabs but they aren't anything special. Save up a bit more money and get Avatar or something else.

Avatar website: http://www.avatarspeakers.com . Before you ask any questions about Avatar, please do a search and educate yourself.

9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    If you're interested in the backline series, the 410blx-II is a solid cab, and fairly affordable ($300 U.S.?) 400watts at 8ohms means you can always add another cab and use a good loud 4ohm amp.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Technically they are. They're only seeing about $130 out of the total of $180. UPS sees the rest.

11. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    True, but it doesn't end up costing $130. And I don't think UPS is even seeing it, my guess is it's a BS surcharge where they can appear to be a good deal but actually make a good profit out of them.