Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Backline issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chalie, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Hi Guys,

I wonder where is the Backline made. Do you have any idea.

How good is it compare to Artist model. :confused:

Since it is less money. Is it realible?

Thanks a ton.

2. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    Not in made in the USA! I would assume China.
    Have not played one, could be a good amp. Anyone?

3. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I've played one. The sound was quite terrible... I don't know if it was just the amp i was using, but no matter what bass I used, it would always distort. I checked to see what channel it was on.. and it was on clean! I was very dissapointed. Spend a little extra and get something from the RB series...

4. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    I have the 212 model and have not had any issues with mine whatsoever, very clean when I want clean and a good growl when I want growl.
    The thing with the backline series is that you should not turn up the pre amp gain past half way (actually GK says 1 o'clock) or it will get very muddy and distorted, that's just the way they set them up.
    There are 2 different master levels here, master gain and boost, The boost is the GK growl circuit and you can get that signature GK sound nicely from it. You can basically crank these levels all of the way without damaging the speakers but even with a loud drummer, I haven't had to due this.

Overall a very reliable amp from what I've seen so far.

5. There are 2 different master levels here, master gain and boost, The boost is the GK growl circuit and you can get that signature GK sound nicely from it. You can basically crank these levels all of the way without damaging the speakers but even with a loud drummer, I haven't had to due this.

Thanks for your contribution. I have tried it but I better read the owner manual to understand the features before I get it. I will probable get the head only as I have different cabs standing.
    I am SWR guy but I like to get some different sound for my gigs and the Eden is my goal but they are too costly.

6. i have the Backline 250 BL head, and it is a decent low power amp imo...

7. You meant it is too low. I was looking in this model to drive my 15" 350W 8ohms cab for a back-up.

8. If I were in the market for a new amp, I wouldn't go smaller than the Backline 300. The other two (one?) models just don't have the juice, unless your gig situation is really narrow.

9. it isn't too low my dorm setup, but it is only 120 watts, you really can't expect it to rock a 350 watt cab...

10. You are right with the output of the amp that is to lean.
    It is quit funny when they talk about the output on the hi end audio power amp they quoted RMS output but not with the guitar amps.
    I have SWR with 350 W 4 ohms vs my Trace 150 W 8 ohms driving the same 4 x 10" 4 ohms Trace cab and the Trace amp gives me a bit more audio power to the gig.
    I am always leluctant to get any "price battle" products in this sence and the Bacline might be one of those products too.