1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK Backline Products

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blues_bassist, Apr 22, 2009.

1. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am looking at getting my first stack setup and I am wonder if the GK Backline amp stacks are of good quality. I need a setup that will be able to play loud for a long time and take the ware of playing a lot of gigs.

Any advice???

2. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    I personally have heard bad things about the Backline gear.

I don't own and haven't played through any... so I can only tell you what I've heard.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have a review of the Backline 600 head at my little web page. It's a great bass amp.

4. The Backlines (entry level G-K) of late have been pretty trouble free. The BL600 suits many just fine. If your in the US request a quote from www.rmcaudiodirect.com and include the Artist series in the quote request (like the 700rb II) it is def. worth the time.

5. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    I tried to like the Backline 600....and for the $$ it's an OK amp, but I just could not like the tone. But you might like it.

6. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Personally I'd look into a used GK 400RB-IV, 700RB-II, 1001RB-II, or 800RB if you're looking for the signature GK tone. These can usually be had for about the same or just a little more than a new backline head if you do some looking around. The RB series will definitely last longer than the backline stuff, and won't necessitate you getting a more powerful head should you want to upgrade your cabs. :)

7. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I guess this might be one of those cases where I should dish out the extra money and get a little bit more expensive amp.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I play mostly blues so I want a vintage sound, it has to be able to get really loud, and I want stacks only.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

GK's in general are an acquired taste. Powerful and bright sounding amps. You can actually use cabs without tweeters if you want they're so bright. Nothing wrong with the Backline series though. Basically just stripped down versions of their pro stuff. My understanding is the amps are basically the same innards without the bi-amping features. The cabs are basic with speakers w/lower wattage handling (Pro 4x10 handles 800w, BLX version handles 400w).

9. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Vintage Sound?
    Ampeg! :smug:

10. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Good point. Can't go wrong with Ampeg!

11. Wrong, all depends on who made that Ampeg! :eyebrow: