Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Backline series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Graphics are horrible. I'm just sayin. Someone tell them. :smug:

Sorry to waste a thread. Just thumbing thru bassplayer and it kills me everytime I see one.

2. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    The white letters look better than the red they went with....but the amps sound great :hyper:

3. I'm sure they sound fantastic, no doubt in my mind...

It's just the graphic makes it look like a Gorilla offering.

4. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I like the look of their heads. Much like their old artist series heads.

For the price, my Backline 600 is hard to beat.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Question: Does the Backline 600 owners manual have a power rating for 8 Ohms?

6. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Its 180 watts at 8 ohms. I thinks its gotta be the best deal going as well. A buck a watt!

7. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I had the whole Backline stack and 600 amp. I liked it, but after playing through the 700RB-2 I opted to dump it all back to G.C. before my 30 days was up.

I grabbed a 115SBX and the RB2 and I'm much more happy with the power and tone of this combination. If I ever need to add a 410 on top I have plenty of power to do so. I'm really surprized at the punch I can get with this SBX cab, the tweeter really gives it a nice tone. What was nice about the whole exchange was it didn't cost me but a tad more for what I consider a much better built and sounding cab and powerful amp.. :hyper:

The BL 600 amp was good @ 8 ohms, but with the BLX410 cab over the BLX115 pushing 4ohms it just wasn't enough and the sucker ran fan high and hot at low volumes. I can't even get the fan to lite on the RB-2, But I hav'nt nailed it with a 4ohm load yet either. :D

8. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Really? :meh: Crap.

If this thing can't push four ohms nicely, why didn't I get the BL250 instead? Hopefully Daniel Elliot can come in here and tell us that the Backline 600 will run four ohms nicely and for extended periods of time.

9. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    i'm sure that the BL600 can run @ 4 Ohms for an extended time.. but the fan will be spinning..

and the graphic is horrible.. someone should make a decal to put over that red graphic, that looks more like a "GK"..

i skipped on the BL-600.. i tried it out at a local music store, and it was on a 8x10.. and there was another on a 4x10/1x15 rig.. i tried all the settings, and there was no volume to it.. with both rigs cranked up, i could hold a conversation with a freind that was standing behind the rigs.. something wasn't right with them.. so, i passed on it.. and they are made in China, which shouldn't mean anything really, but i'm kinda leery of all the new electronics from china..

i skipped, and bought a used '98 400RB.. which i'm really happy with..

i did try a BL-350 on a 2x10 at GC, and it did throw out a decent amount of volume.. after that, i knew there was something wrong with the other BL-600s at the other store..

it seems like the BL-600 is a great deal for 300.00..

10. We did away with the red lettering on yucky grey back in favor of the white letters on black with a brushed chome control strip. The Backline 600 is UL and CE safety rated at 4 ohms so no problems there.

The fan is definitely noisier than the other amps. I was going to ask the engineering guys to look into ventilating the amp better somehow to reduce that. I almost never notice the fan on my 1001RB.

BTW. The Backline series is NOT made in china. The grey ones were assembled in the US. The black ones are assembled in Taiwan and I don't believe we've had one single Backline 600 fail yet.

FYI the 400RB-IV and the Backline 600 have EXACTLY the same power amp board and the 600 has a larger transformer. It's actually 20 watts more than the 400RB. I A/B'd them in the lab just the other day and could not distinguish a significant volume difference between them. Tonally, I felt that the 600 is more 'meaty' while the 400 is more articulate. I was playing them through an 810BLX. Next week I want to compare them through a Neo 212.

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Wow, you answer the exact question that I was thinking of. This is extremely helpful information. I am almost ready to buy one of those heads.

I noticed at the GK website that the 600 is not mentioned anywhere, and there is not an owner's manual to download. It's so helpful to have a manual to look at when considering a purchase. Would it be possible to add the manual for the 600?

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Backline?! ..They snuck a little of that in on their PRO stuff too! My 700RBII has the words "Bi-amp bass amplifier" or somesuch crawled on the front in that 'font'.

Need I say that I also don't like the idea of my bass amp actually SAYING "bass amp" on the front of it!

What a killer amp, though.

Joe

13. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I knew you would come in eventually. Thanks for showing up.

The new design is definately nice, IMO. I like the old-style GK graphics (Mark I Artist series), and the new Backline heads look much like that. Looks better in person that it does on the picture that all the online retailers have. I need to get around to posting some pictures...

I'm yet to try out the fan in mine, but it can't be much worse than what I hear Mesa owners complaining about. Would it help to run a fan blowing onto the amplifier as well, Daniel, or would you say it's fine as is?

I was told the same thing by another GK employee (about the power). The Backline is definately more "meaty" but not overly so. It's only a bit warmer (I feel) and the articulation is good, though it may be a smidge behind the GK artist series. I definately get all the articulation I want out of mine, there isn't much room for improvement there.

So far, I'm pleased with my purchase at the price point. The 180 watts at eight ohms aren't too much to where I can't practice at home quietly, but I've also cranked it some. Next week I've got a gig with it, I'll be sure to write up a gig report.