GK Backline series ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gecko 5, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

Has anyone had any luck , good , bad or otherwise with the Backline series ?
    I am considering a Backline 600 from Guitar Center .
  2. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I just bought a backline 210 its 200watts and will be 300 when i add an extention 15"cab. It has alot of punch and i am still trying the eq to find where i want my sound. I played with a drummer a couple of nights ago and had no problem being heard in a cramped small basement where he boomed. A GK rep Daniel Elliot posts here and is a great guy to ask questions to so you get a bonus if you buy one of having a GK rep here to ask questions or report problems. The warrenty is great and i love the amp. The problem is here TBers dont seem to like the backlines but who cares the guys who dont maybe can afford a lot more than me or need more than me to gig....i can't compete with them and a $3000 rig to play in a small bar. Go for the GK! I will add an extention cab to mine come time to gig out.
  3. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I have a Backline 600.

Great unit.

If you want anything specific, let me know - I'll be glad to help.
  4. metallicaorion

May 31, 2005
    Oswego IL
    I was also intrested in the backline 600 head... i'v heard some stuff about them overheating really easily... is that true and have you had any problems with that?
  5. The Backline 600 has proven to be a rock solid amp so far. It has a variable speed fan in it and I've never heard of anyone calling in with a complaint about overheating.
  6. dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i have a backline 600. i have mine set relative flat. but and i can get tons of highs out of it. i have giged with mine and it puches thru with a 2x10 and it hasnt gave me any trouble. but not to hi-jack the tread how good are their 4x10s????
  7. It seems as though the Backline 210 is the BL 600 head in a combo package. I think both the BL 210 & BL600 have 200W @ 8 ohms & 300W @ 4, right?

Anyway, I'm shopping for an upgrade to my current amp (Ampeg B-100R) and I'm on a budget, so I've been considering the Backline series. The only thing I don't dig about them is the useless (to me) distortion channel, but I could always not use it. The Backlines seem like almost too good a deal to be true.

So... for those of you owning the BL600 or BL210 (the new 200/300W ones), how long have you had them? Had any problems with them? Has the 200 or 300W been enough for you owners to gig with, as far as medium-sized venues go?

Thanks for any/all comments!
  8. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I have had my backline 210 for a month unlike most combos i bought it since i could add an extention cab for the 300watts and still have 200 in case i have a smaller gig practice etc. So far its great... great tone ,loud and clear.I like the overdrive and play it when i'm in the Rage ..Timmy C mood its good or better than alot of pedals. You dont want it dont turn it on that simple. I played with a drummer last week and had no problems being heard over him at 1/2 volume. I am still learning the Eq and plan on adding a 15 cab that should boom then for bigger gigs and more headroom. GK has a great warranty and Daniel Elliot is a GK rep here and will answer any quetions on GK so you also get great outside customer service ...buy it!
  9. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I've had my Backline 600 as soon as they came out. Solid amp, but I've got a hum issue that could be a cold solder joint (could also be any other part of my signal chain, but it won't get fixed until I diagnose what part of my signal chain it's coming from).

I gig mine with a Genz-Benz LS210-T (2x10, 97dB effeciency, eight ohms) in a five-hundred seat venue with multiple acoustic guitars and vocals (church gig) and have no problems without P.A. support. I think last time my amp was set to ten o' clock by the end of the show and I was using a softer touch for most of it.
  10. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I like my Combo 210 ...
  11. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Although I like the tone of GK stuff in general, I have a Thunderfunk/Ampeg SVT6x10HLF setup and am happy.

Last night, I saw a gospel band where the bassist played a MIM Fender Jazz though a GK Backline 1X15 combo.

Talk about Jamerson/John Paul Jones tone! So warm and fat. Just goes to show you that it is really in the hands (the guy plain out smoked), but the amp put out that tone.

Because of hearing that amp live, I would buy it in a second.

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm actually looking for a second, almost transparent head for my rig. I run an ANVT-3Pro and love it.. I want a second head for my effects, the SVT for clean..

Anyway, I tested a couple of GK's (400 RB backline 600 and Ampeg BR2) head-to-head... no pun intended... And I liked the GK sounds better than the sounds I was getting from the BR2.

The GK's are bright and in your face, with plenty of control over the tone. I had a great sound dialed in pretty quick-like. Never got a good sound out of the BR2.

So I'm torn between the Backline 600 and the 400RB *L*
  13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    One more thing to add....the Backline 15 combo the guy had was the older version with the red logo. The new ones are supposedly better.

It sounded warmer than my B100R (and I am a huge fan of that amp).
  14. Yeah, I have the B100R too (think I wrote that in my earlier post...), and I love the tone, but not the wattage. I checked out the Backline 115 too, but I think it's only 200W at best, and I'm under the impression that 200 isn't enough power. I wouldn't be playing big clubs often, but I want the firepower there if it's needed.

I'm thinking of getting the 210 or 115 (if 200W is enough power) and an Avatar 2X12 cab. Should be a pretty sweet rig!
  15. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    The nice thing about the kickback amps are that you don't need a ton of power. You have it aimed at your head so you can hear the bass. Granted, it ain't gonna rumble the stage like some full stacks, but in bigger clubs, you go direct to the PA anyway.

I must say, I was impressed. If the 600 sounds like that, then they blow away any Ashdown Mag, Behringer, or anything else in that price range.
  16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Dare I ask what's the real difference between the 400 RB and the BL 600? Is it merely a different preamp section?
  17. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I inquired the folks at GK the same question, and I know Daniel has answered it at least once as well.

The 400RB-IV has, "A more road-ready chasis while having a smaller transformer than the Backline 600." They have the same preamp section, while the Backline also adds a second channel for distortion. The Backline is also made overseas, whereas the artist line is made in the U.S.A.

The chasis thing isn't that big of a deal, especially if you rack your gear. My Backline 600 feels solid.

The larger transformer on the Backline 600 allows it to gain an extra twenty watts over the 400RB-IV.

Daniel has also A/B'd the two amps, and has said numerous times that the Backline 600, "Just sounds meatier to my ears."
  18. They have the same power amp board. The preamp boards are different and the 600 has a larger transformer. The 600 chassis is not less rugged, it's just simpler and therefore costs less to make.
  19. Daniel,

your information and guidance (and occasional defense!) of GK products is appreciated and welcomed. I'm quite likely to get either the Backline 210 or the 600 and some cabs. I liked what I heard of it at the local GC, although I'm going to take full advantage of any return policy so that I can fully test-fire it at a band practice or two, since the bass room at GC doesn't exactly have premium acoustics. Whew, that was a run-on sentence...

Anyway, does the BL 210 essentially have the 600 head in it? Hmm, what else... is there a cover that one can buy for the 210? And does the 600 come with mounting brackets, so I can stick it in a 2 space rack?

20. The 210 has the 600 head in it. Yes there is a cover for the 210 that you can order and the rack ears do not come with the head, but you can order them from our parts dept.