1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK backline setup...worth the price?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skipster619, Aug 10, 2007.

1. skipster619

skipster619

Jul 11, 2007
    I've been helping my little brother as he's getting into playing. He's a freak for blues, jazz and light rock. He has been learning through a small 25 watt practice amp, and now he's ready to step to a bigger set up. We're looking for used stuff to run his T-40 through....

We've been shopping mostly for combos, looking at Peavey combo 115's, TNT's, and a Carvin combo. But, this week we came across this GK rig, and I wanted to ask everyones thoughts as to whether it's a good deal.

The rig consists of:

1 Gallien-Krueger Backline 600; 300 watt bass amplifier
    1 Gallien-Krueger Backline 210BLX-II; 2x10 Cab
    and, 1 Gallien-Krueger Backline 115BLX-II; 15" Sub Cab

The setup is about 6 months old, and looks pretty much like new. (Would this be a good setup for a newer player just getting started at jam sessions and starting to play out in small clubs, or are we better off sticking with smaller combos?) And, the big question....is the GK rig worth $400?

Thanks!!!!

2. skipster619

skipster619

Jul 11, 2007
    Here is the GK rig we found in his local classifieds...

Attached Files:

3. Retail on that rig new would be $993

4. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    Yes, $400 is a very fair second hand price for that stack (provided it's in full working order)

5. If you get it, let us know how it sounds. I'm contemplating buying the same head and a 210 cab to add to my Mesa/Boogie 115 for a bit more sound.

6. hoosierdad

hoosierdad

Sep 1, 2003
    Indiana
    Sounds like a good price if it all works. Good luck.

7. The head's street price alone is ~$300 new, so all that for $400? You betcha! Make sure it all works at a useable volume. Even though it's bulkier, that kind of setup will be much more versatile as your brother progresses, and the head will likely be a long term keeper.

8. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    It's not a "pro" set-up. The cabs are meh.

But at $400, it's a fantastic deal.

I'd be hard-pressed to find a set-up that competes for tone and volume at that price-point. For $600, maybe, but it'd still be tough.

That stack will handle a ton. Sure, eventually, you'll want to upgrade it. But it's a solid rig that'll hold up quite well. Especially for the price.

Go for it!