Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Backline voltage issues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jan 3, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody. One more time, sorry if this has been discussed before. Couldn't find anything.

A girl who's my student just bought a GK Backline 112 and called me to tell me that its "Smart Protection Circuitry" seems to be "very sensitive" since the amp is constantly turning off and a green led turns to red (I haven't tested the amp yet). Is this a common problem with these amps? I guess that the quality of the line voltage here isn't the best, but I've never had that kind of problem with my amps. My furman shows that voltage fluctuations exist, but still within the safe range. This girl is very disappointed and asked me for help, but aside from recommending her a surge protector and maybe an stabilizer couldn't say anything else (I think I'd be very disappointed as well). Thank you in advance for your input.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Get ahold of this guy.

Click Here!

He is a GK rep and TalkBass member.

:D

Joe.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Thanks, man. I've just sent him a PM.

4. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    i have electricity "shortcomings" in my house. spikes and drops. some of my computers will only boot when the motherboard/powersupply senses an acceptible voltage. I also have a backline 112. so far it has not complained whereas my computer does. i run it into an adcom ac enhancer to eliminate hum, but even straight into the wall it seems to work o.k.
    hope this helps

5. Assuming she's tried it at more than one power source and experienced that same thing, she needs to have a service shop take a look at it. The GK website has a list of authorized warranty service centers. If you can't find one close to you, call Gene at the GK office. Phone number is on the GK website as well. She'll need to take her sales receipt for proof of purchase.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I'll let her know. Thanks for your reply!

7. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    No problems with my BL- 210 in many places giging or practice...great amp.