1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Bass Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sifl, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Is there a pedal out there that can emulate the GK sound? Like the VT pedal does for Ampeg, but for GK?

2. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    Bongomania has a GK Diesel Dog for sale in the classifieds. Perhaps you could ask him about it. That's the only one I'm aware of that might.

3. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I remember Devi Ever has a pedal that's supposed to emulate the GK sound ("growl").

I never tried it, heard sound samples, or read reviews, but might be worth looking into.

edit: nevermind, appearantly it's a fuzz?
    (sorry it's late here)

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The GK Diesel Dawg is exactly the clipping section from a GK amp. Now, if you want something that sounds like a GK amp but without any distortion, then it gets a little trickier, harder to pin down exactly what tone you have in your mind. But if you want the dirty driven GK sound, the Diesel Dawg is the ticket. :)

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    a tone-shaping pedal would be a good choice for duplicating a gallien-krueger sound. if that doesn't help, an amp modeler that has a scooped amp model would be able to get you the sound you want.

6. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Yeah, not so much scooped though but tuning to the very low frequencies... You can definitely get mids out of a GK..

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    That's true. even though gallien-krueger is famous for their scooped sounds. their also great amps for playing metal. I would know because I've been using gallien-krueger amps for a long time.

8. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I wouldn't call it scooping though. It's just really low frequencies that the mids are contoured to.

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Can you explain what you mean by "contoured" then?

10. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I like this tone. I think he's using an 800rb.

11. The GK distortion channel in the 2000rb/2001 models aren't channels that just clip the signal. If you look in to it, it's a sound that Bob has been developing his whole amp building career. Just read any GK manual.

There is a video of a guy demo-ing the diesel dawg on youtube, shouldn't be hard to find. IMHO it doesn't sound very good, but then again he has a REALLY weird clean tone to begin with. Also, the sound that the pedal gets seems to be a bit more wild than the high gain on my 2000rb head.

12. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I saw that video and I didn't like any of his tones.

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Whether you call it scooped or not. Whatever floats your boat.

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    It's not like I'm dead-set on using the word "scooped". You said you wouldn't call it scooped, but contoured instead. I was just wondering what it meant to you.