1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK bi-amp cable question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Anarchyok, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Hey all,

Need a little clarification or confirmation I'm doing it right!

I have a Fusion 550, MB Fusion, and a pair of Neo 212s...

Now, when I'm using Fusion 550 into Neo 212s, I run in bi-amp mode, with supplied 4 conductor cable, Neo cab in bi-amp mode. All good...

With the MB Fusion, without bi-amp capability, I'm switching the cabs to full range so I can still have the tweeter working. My question is...am I still ok to use the 4 conductor cable? I've seen yes to this here, but in the manual it says "you may use a standard 2 conductor speakon for full range."

Is it a "may" or "must"?

2. It is a definite may use. The 2+,2- just goes no where with the MB Fusion, the connector is a 4 pole in the MB with 2+,2- unused. :)

3. I haven't seen how the 1/4 and speakon jacks look internally, but obviously the 2+,2- don't interfere with the 1/4 jack tabs?

4. The 1/4" and 1+,1- are connected directly in the cabs. The switch (Bi-amp/Full range) switches the crossover, L-pad and horn from the 1/4" 1+,1- to connect the horn directly to the 2+,2-.

5. Sorry I was referring to the combo jacks on back of me fusion head, where the 2+,2- and 1/4 share the same region of the jack.

6. The 1/4" and 1+,1- are directly connected in the amp head. The 2+,2- have no connection in the MB heads, in the Fusion 550 the same except the 2+,2- are connected to the horn amp.

7. Cheers for the info - I'm still not explaining myself clearly...must be my flu.

My thoughts are with the 4 pin cable, that the 2+,2- are on the centre shaft of it. That is also where the 1/4 connections are on the combo speakon output on the back of the mb fusion. Obviously its engineered so the connections for a 1/4 in the centre of the speakon can't be confused with a 2+,2- section of a 4 pin speakon cable.

8. Ah now I see your question. The speakon connections should be sufficiently shielded/clearanced from the 1/4" in the amps connector.

9. I had a good look inside one after posting yesterday and see what you mean. We got there in the end! Hahah thanks!

10. No trouble ;)