1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK BL600 + Carvin BR115 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Solarmist, Mar 8, 2008.

1. I have a GK Backline 600 amp (300W @ 4ohms). I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a Carvin BR115 w/horn (600W @ 4ohms). Is this a good match? I love 15's. I never turn it up much more than 1/3 of the way. It’s not for gigging-just home use. $350-$425 bracket. Thank You Much.

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    That's a very nice cab - 115 cabs with enough internal space to actually let the driver perform with less midbass hump and more bass extension are rare. Tuned well, and amenable to high performance neo driver retrofits like the 3015LF when used to shore up any 210 or 410 cab. With 210 this would be my favorite conventional bass cabs configuration.

My caveat?: Like any 15/tweeter bass cab combination (and for my ears, most 10 or 12 with small tweeter horns), the tweeter can't cross over low enough to integrate well with the woofer output. That means a spiky gap in the response just below where the tweeter output becomes significant, and less off-axis response, which helps get a better stage mix on small stages. All that is less an issue if it's used with another cab - then it comes down to how well that other cab integrates and disperses the upper midrange with the treble.

If you like 115 cabs, this one is a bargain.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It'll be fine for use at home, in fact more than you really need.

4. I don't have any real close-prox neighbors...Thanks Guys...Oh, and greenboy-I would love to get the BR210 to go with it, but besides the cash-both cabs are 4ohm which put together makes 2ohm...great if I get a Carvin BX600 amp, but not the GK BL600 at 4ohms (as I understand it). Thanks greenboy-your'e always so helpful. ;)

5. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    That Carvin BR15 is a great cab. You can't go wrong with that one.