1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK BRAT PACK QUESTION

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeyBass, May 1, 2006.

1. :confused: recently i bout an ampeg head and and the 8x10 stack it blows moving it to practice and gigs and so on so i was wondering if this is a good deal?? the gk brat pack 250 its like $350 with a 15' sub and pumps out about 150 watts from what i remember is this worth considering? or should i think about the backline 600 which is about the same price and just buy a 15 seperatly??? please post back with opinions and ideas thanks:confused:

p.s.
    both are a million times lighter then my head which weighs in at about 80 pounds which is why im considering

2. IMO skip that package. IIRC the BL250 head in that pack is an 8 ohm only head and nobody seems to like it much. I have not heard much good about either the head or cab.

People here seem to suggest that the BL600 or Ashdown MAG heads are the way to go and will also tell you to pick up an Avatar 2x10 or 1x15. These seem to be the less expensive small rigs that are frequently suggested here. BTW if you like the classic Ampeg sound, I am guessing that you may like the Ashdown over the GK.

Peace,S

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Skip the "brat pack"

The Backline 250 is only capable of pushing 125W @ 8 ohms with no possible additions. Might as well just go for the Backline 600 or a used 400 or 700RB with a Backline or SBX 115 cabinet.

I've seen many people converted from Ampeg to GK for many reasons, weight being one of them.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The GK Backline 600 or Ashdown MAG 300, yes, depending on which flavor you like. GK Backline cabs, no. Avatar cabs, yes.

5. ive also seen some peavey amps (the tko series) which runs about the same price as head and cab puts out 200 watts do these have any problems? or are they pretty sturdy?

6. Lots of people around my city have used the TKOs. They are very sturdy but IMO only fair sounding. If I were going Peavey, I would get a used Peavey head and a different brand of cab. I am not a fan of Peavey cabs but some Peavey heads are frequently good deals used if you shop around. Otherwise, I would stick to the earlier suggestions in this thread.

Peace,
    S

7. Understandable that some people dont like peavey cabs, but i really like mine, especially my 215D-BW, which alot of people seem to think is one of the better 215's made

I would go the peavey route because you can get great stuff for pretty cheap second hand :)