GK cab options for 700RB-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassplayer92, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Hey all! I just pulled the trigger on a 700RB-II through the Musician's Friend clearance center. I was ready to buy a NEO 212 cab to go with it, but unfortunately they are stored in the other warehouse and it is closed on the weekends. Looking at this as a blessing in disguise, could you recommed some cabinet options for me?

I play a Spector NS2000 Q5, 5 string in my contemporary Christian band and also my praise band. I also play some jazz stuff in a quintet. What I want is a cab that sounds warm and full, and doesn't fart out on the low B string. I don't do any slapping or popping or use an over driven sound.

I've been looking at the GK SBX, RBH, and Neo series cab specifically, but I don't know which series with which speaker combinations will provide me with the full warm sound I want.

2. Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    If you want to go with a GK cab, the general opinion seems to be the following:

RBH: Loud (efficient), punchy, aggressive.

SBX: Warm, round, tight bottom, less efficient.

NEO: Well from what I've read about these most people just love them. Lightweight, great tone.

If I were you I would go with the sbx series. Sounds to me like they will furfill your needs tonewise plus they are cheaper than the other series. As far as configurations go 1x15, 4x10 and 2x10 + 1x15 are all good options. I would take a 2x10 plus the 1x15 for the versatility. Good luck
    Gospel Bass Player likes this.
  3. Thanks Nigel, I was thinking a 115 was where I wanted to start with for some nice lows. Then I may add a 210 to the mix later on.
  4. any other opinions on a cab that would work in my situation? It doesn't have to be made by GK; I just want the right tone.
  5. My main bass:

My rig:

I play in a Christian rock band and a contemporary worship band. I think the Neo cabs are perfect. They are versatile and LOUD. even with the Neo212 by itself I didnt have any problems with the low B. My 1001RB-II is amazing through these cabs.

I think youd like em.
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    GK and Bag End. Simply mahvelous. Small, modular, great tone... and punch! My take on Bag End, at least the 2x10 that I have is that the cab doesn't really demo well. It's not really a great practice room cab as it doesn't do the drippy, gooey, thick thing without excessive EQ. Get it in a band context and it's nice and full and round and cut's right through a mix. Really a great cab. I've been pairing up with a 1x15, I need to find a second 2x10. Almost happened last week but I snoozed... damn it.
  7. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    I run my GK 700rb-mkII though a gs112 for sunday praise music. When I want a bit more depth I add my svt15e I really like the tone I get with this rig and it's fairly compact.
  8. Nice rig ebmuscman! I think my pastor would faint if I brought in something like that! He's always telling us we need to crank up the music, but he would freak if he saw that. :) Haha, I can just see the look on his face!
  9. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    :p lol my pastor thought my peavy combo 15 was HUGE. i told him he shoulda saw my rock rig before i sold it. :bassist: :p
  10. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    If you're set on a GK cab, I think your best bet is an SBX (Have not heard any of the Neo cabs). GK Heads aren't exactly known for their warmth (their strengh is punch and clarity), so if that's the sound you're looking for, it's going to have to come from your bass and/or cabinet.

- Ugly.
  11. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    ill agree with the SBX. they have more of a classic, smooth tone. sounds like a 15 SBX cab should be all you need for the tone youre after. that is if you really cant wait for the neo 12 cab. ;)