1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Apr 27, 2015.

1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    What does the "FULL RANGE" option do on the back of the GKCX series cab?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Pretty sure that switch toggles the cabinet between bi-amp and full range operation. GK RB series amps can do the bi-amp thing as well as running in full range mode.

=wr=

3. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    What's the difference between bi-amp and full range?

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    In biamp mode, your GK head controls the tweeter volume (the RB series that have the tweeter amp in them)
    In full range mode, you control your tweeter volume on the cab - for when you want a tweeter but don't have the GK amp that has the tweeter amp incorporated.

I use it in biamp mode with non GK heads because that way I completely bypass the tweeter (I hate tweeters).

5. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    In addition, I think the tweeter amp bypasses the Boost circuit so the tweeter won't sound harsh. The woofers are much friendlier with the Boost growl.

=wr=

6. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Yup, that is true. One of the advantages of the GK biamp function is that the tweeter signal goes clean.
    Still, I really really dislike the tweeter in my GK NEO 412. Didn't hate it so much in Ampeg 410HLF (didn't sound so harsh, but more mellow) but that's probably because without it, that cab is a muddy mess (and IMO, it's still a muddy awful mess).

7. mdjuszyn

mdjuszyn

Nov 17, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    It is simply an on/off switch for the tweeter. These cabs don't do bi-amping.

8. jfn77

jfn77

Apr 23, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    It's not an "option", the speakon and jack inputs are both labeled "Full Range" and in between the inputs there's an on/off switch for horn. So yeah, no bi-amping with CX's. :)

9. organworthyplayer337

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, I feel so stupid hahaha thanks for the kind answer, sir.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Not all GK heads support the biamp, or Horn Management System.
    The RB ersies heads do, and, the big Fusion does. The MB series heads do not.

11. The 400RB IV also does not, none of the 400RB series do. They are the exception to the "RB" rule.

Chef likes this.