GK combo with 410 cab

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by FredH, Jul 21, 2005.

1. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

I was thinking of plugging my old GK 410 into my combo because we're playing a larger than normal room this weekend.
    Anyone ever run a MB150E combo with a 410 cabinet?

Truth be known I'm kind of a knucklehead when it comes to impedance matching, I never quite understand the rules of what ohms you can go into what. And if you get it wrong can it damage the equipment? I'll try it out first but any thoughts on the matter are welcome.

PS - Don't look forward to humping the cab around, but it's a good place to put books on.
  2. Two 8 ohm cabs in parallel= 4 ohms total.
    If memory serves, the GK's internal speaker is 8 ohms, the amp is rated at 150 watts into four ohms. So if your 4x10 cab is 8 ohms, you're ok, although not ideal.
    The lower the impedance on the output of the amp, (the lower the total speaker system impedance), the more power the amp produces, up to a point. To my knowledge, most amps don't like less that 4 ohms. Anything less is really taxing the amp, and asking to fry something.
  3. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Thanks Eric.
    I brought the 410, used it for one song, and disconnected it for the rest of the night. I didn’t like the way it sounded.
    Live and learn....
  4. pjleo

May 27, 2003
    del valley
    I have always had good results adding another 8 ohm 110 cab or 112 cab with the gk 150, which put it at 4 ohms/ 150 watts.
  5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I recently built a 1x15 cab as an extension for my MB150E. Also, being a geek, I decided to analyze the various permutations and combinations of speakers. Based on my measurements, the 1x15 is a lot more efficient than the internal speaker of my MB150E. I calculated that my system is probably louder if I turn off the internal speaker of the MB150E and feed 100 Watts into the 1x15, than if I feed 75 Watts into each. In other words, an extra 25 W going to my extension produces more sound than 75 W going to the internal speaker. It only takes the extension being 5 dB more efficient than the internal speaker for this to be true, and I think this is quite possible with a 4x10.

Given that the MB150E has to run cooler at 100 W than at 150 W, I suggest using it as a head when running the 4x10 cab.

Oops, I overlooked your second post... of course I have to add the disclaimer, "assuming that you like how it sounds."
  6. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    My teacher uses a GK MB150 with a Bag End 1x10 cabinet under it. The combination of the two produces a very nice sound.
  7. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Interesting I give it a try. I have always liked 10" speakers. Back when I played BG.... "the horror....the horror...."
    As far as unplugging the 410 last week, I think I just chickened out and didn’t give it a fair chance. It was strange gig, hot, must have been 90 deg. in the room....