1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK content - what do you think of this cab configuration?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by double_stop2584, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

I'm just writing this to get some confirmation that my numbers are all right.

So my current rig is a GK 1001-RBII into a 410SBX cab. My band's gigs are pretty much at the point where it's either a fairly large venue (big club), or a small restaurant.
    So I'm thinking maybe I could get TWO 210RBH cabs.

I'll walk you through my plan, and my reasonings:

-Right now, the 410SBX (800w at 8ohms) is receiving 460w from the head.
    -If I have two 210RBH cabs (each is 400w at 8ohms), then I'll have the full 700w at 4ohms coming out of the head, thus making my rig more powerful for the big clubs, but not any larger, really.
    -Then for smaller gigs, I can just use one of the cabs, making it easier to fit on small stages and load in/out.

I think this is a good plan - it'll make my rig smaller at small gigs, and more powerful at bigger clubs.
    So...are my numbers right? What do you guys think about this plan?

2. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    not a terrible idea. idk how much louder the 2x10s are gunna be but its worth a shot. Personally, i would do 2 1x12s. but thats just me.

3. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Sounds like a great idea. As long as the 2x10's are still compatible with the bi-amping feature of the 1001 then it's a great idea. I'd stick with 10's rather than 12s as 4-10's is what you have your rig set up to run and your tone relies on 10's rather than 12's. Also 10's are more articulate and push more air.

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Your numbers are correct, however. A couple things. First, are you either:

a) clipping your amp badly?
    b) not able to get enough volume?

If you answered "no" to both those questions then you do not need to go to a 4 ohm setup over an 8 ohm setup, because the power going to your 8 ohm cab is sufficient.

Also what kind of music are you playing? a 2x10 by itself is not enough for rock even at a small gig, IMO.

If you can get away with a single 2x10 for small gigs, then buying one8 ohm 2x10 is not a bad idea. For big gigs you could then add it to your 8 ohm 4x10. This makes more sense in my eyes [and ears], as having more power and the same amount of speakers in my experience doesn't help at all in a large venue situation. Being able to more speakers helps exponentially. The fact that you'll coax more power out of your amp with a 4 ohm load is an added bonus.

5. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    Sounds like a good plan!

6. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    You could go with 2x12 Neo cabs. Same price.

7. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Another good option, the GK 212 Neo cabs are great. I'm a recent convert to 10s/12s combo.

8. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    2001rb-II + Neo2x12 + Neo2x10 = WIN. :)

(And pure overkill, but who cares?) :p

9. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    That setup is not overkill for rock IME.

10. Thanks for your help, and that's not a bad idea about adding just one 2x10.

To answer your questions -
    a) no, my amp isn't clipping.
    b) I am interested in getting more volume, specifically for the larger gigs where we're playing for venues that hold around 2,000 people.

And my band is country/rock/r&b covers, plus some country/soul originals. So while we rock out at our smaller gigs, we don't rock out really loudly - I used to play the smaller gigs with a 1x15 220w combo, and had no problems. I think the 460w, 2x10 setup would be fine.

however, the idea of adding a single 2x10 interests me....most of this is about stage volume, and having a smaller kickback cab as kind of a personal instrument monitor wouldn't be a bad idea...

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys!