Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK Customer Support?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by todjk, Apr 30, 2002.

1. I have a GK combo amp arriving in a day or two.

In reading and talking with some of you (via TB), there is a theme that either GK customer support is adequate or poor. Being a soon-to-be owner of a GK product, I'm wondering if anyone could elaborate on this? What I'm looking for are insights in to why you either love or hate GK customer support, when something goes wrong.

Much appreciated. Tod

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I own two G-K's, a 400RBIII & a MB-150S combo.
    I haven't had trouble with either, but twice contacted G-K for parts (rack ears for the head/gigbag for the combo).

Problem was that you get voice mail which is the case almost everyplace these days- What made me frustrated was that when switching back to the operator, I got a message saying "No one is available" with no options!
    In all fairness, the service/parts guy returned my call & was very cool, and the operator did check on the availability of the gig-bag for me.after I called back.(just for the record both parts were out-of stock at the time ,fwiw).

I like both of these products as well as the line itself, and have had no problems with my gear, but I could see getting frustrated if you did have something that needed attention, warranty or otherwise.It is not a good idea to leave people hanging, and this only compunds a problem.

G-K seems to be succesful; I would think that the
    the solution would be simply to add a person or two dedicated to Customer service to at least listen to what the owner has to say. I have heard of owners with problems going ballistic 'cause no one replied-That would make me angry too, and when that happens, you know the drill- There are a lot of choices in the market today-easy to never go back.

I do like theri stuff, and in all fairness, I believe that they are there and will tcb, but, a little extra effort on their part could go a long way.

3. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    Just hope that you never have to send it them for service!
    I owned a GK 2000RB that sounded wonderful 'til I started having problems with it (cutting out in the middle of songs). I sent it to GK and waited for months before I got it back. I tried e-mailing and phone calls and found it extremely difficult to get through. When I got my amp back, "upgraded to current production standards" it sounded wonderful for about 3 months...then it died "with an AWFUL sound"...I brought it back to the dealer for service where they told me it was severely damaged. I do not play in a high volume band so I KNOW the fault wasn't mine. I traded for a Mesa 400+ and haven't looked back since.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I also had a GK 2000RB that had similar problems and crapped out intermittantly. I later found out that it was a universal design flaw with that model, which is why it is no longer produced.

I've posted this in several places before, and will continue to relay my bad experience til the day I die . . .

The problem wasn't in the need for warranty service (ANY manufacturer has some units that are lemons) but rather the way that GK mishandled the matter. They had my amp for over 4 months, and it was like pulling teeth to get a status from them. E-mail was the only way I could get a response, and it was the same every time, claiming that they would "ship the unit out within the week". Of course, that went on for months. Only after I sent a formal demand letter via certified mail insisting that they return either my fixed amp or a new replacement did I get my amp back.

Guess what? It worked for about a month then started crapping out again. I doubt they fixed anything. I sold it rather than put up with the hassle.

FWIW, I had a GK 800RB for about 14 years with NEVER a problem. GK is good stuff so long as it works, but when it doesn't, dealing with them is an absolute nightmare . . . I personally will NEVER buy another GK product because of this.

5. TCollins

TCollins

Apr 4, 2000
    Amen to that Eric!

What a shame the 2000RB never got off the ground! When that amp was working properly, it was a sweet sounding amp! I've heard that it was "too hot for the circuitry design". Also, it was a cool looking beast as well!

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I found them to be rude on the 2 occasions that I contacted them.

7. Thanks for the FYI, everyone. I agree that any manufacturer will have some kind of problems with their products. How the customer is handled is very important to me.

Has anyone heard of any design problems with a 400RB-115? Any good luck with this model?

Thanks. Tod :)

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I made a telephone inquiry once and received a telephone message from a tech person within a couple of days which was satisfactory. I recently sent an email question on the boost control and received a prompt email response which aswered my question. I have heard the horror stories about the 2000 model; must have been a lemon?

I can also attest to the durability of the 800rb. I have had mine since 1990. A fellow bandmember dropped it on a concrete loading dock back in 1991, it never needed to go to the shop and has always has worked just fine.

I bought a 1001rb 3 years ago, and I guess I've been lucky cause no problems here either.

9. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I live in Los Altos, CA, about 20 minutes away from the Gallien-Krueger factory. When I needed to get my 1001RB fixed because of a popping noise it made when I switched it on, GK said that I could just come over and they would have it fixed right there so I wouldn't have to come back later.

When I got to the factory, the problem had mysteriously dissappeared and the amp switched on and off silently. However, the guy at GK still opened my amp up and updated all relevant parts just in case. My amp has worked flawlessly since then.

While I was there I got a tour and tried out the prototype for the new GK DieselDawg pedal.

As you can see, I had a great experience with GK customer service.

10. Jbass987

Jbass987

Mar 20, 2002
    Rapid City, SD
    I've owned two GK products in the last 20 years. The 1st amp was a 115 BC, the 200RB head in a combo floormat. 100w, 1-15 in speaker. Great amp. used it for 16 years with never a problem. I upgraded to the new style 400RBIII and like that also. It's almost out of warrenty so we'll see. All in all, I've been happy with GK products.

11. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    i had a gk 800rb..it was great for awhile then it started cutting in and out..took it to gk service place ..cost me 250.00 dollars..2 months later
    it started doing it again..i took it back and they said its only guarenteed for 1 month..then some g/k guy saw my thread emailed me and told me he would personally take care of it cuz he didnt want any bad press on talk bass..guess what never heard from him again..so yeah i love g/k..

12. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Hello to all!

This is Trip from GK. I have been with the company for over a year now. I am so sorry for the service issues that many folks have had. I recently joined talkbass to see what was going with GK according to working players such as yourselves. We are trying to revamp our customer service. I will be checking talkbass as often as I can and I will do my best to see that folks are taken care of. I am just ONE PERSON so I probably won't be able to get to everyone at once. I would also like to request that no one attacks me personally or gets in my face and calls me names because they don't like the GK sound. I understand that it isn't for everyone. I am very passionate about our product line and I do think that some of it needs work. (I think all manufacturers feel that way) I feel our cabs are excellent when hooked up right using a 4-conductor speakon cable. (I am a former Bag-End user and no, I am not retarded or deaf :) ) I have printed out the majority of these posts for Bob Gallien to view. I will be at the Summer Namm show this weekend. I will give him an ear and an eyeful!! Count on it!

Best Regards!
    Trip

13. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    well trip..im not gonna be all in your face about anything..my problem was why didnt the g/k service center say no it cant be fixed instead of charging 250 bucks..then tell me im out of luck cuz they only guarentee for 30days..for the record i bought another only cuz it was cheap and guess what it crapped out on me again..im debateing fixing cuz for a working bass player 250 is alot of money..thank god for ampeg..(nothing personal trip)

14. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    That sucks! You are right, 250 bucks is a lot of money. How long ago was this?

15. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    this happened about 6-7 mos ago..the place that fixed it was in montebello calif..cant remember the name but i pulled it off the g/k site..yeah so basiclly i spent 350 and the amp played for 2 months..i have another 800rb sitting in my room dead as well..funny thing is i hear they are work horses..chances are i got a bad one..i could live with that,but i cant live with that service place taking me for 250 bucks..and a service guy telling me here that he would send me a tag and i could ship it back to the factory..then never hearing from him again..

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Trip,

Welcome to Talkbass!:D

I had a problem - one single problem - about 14 years ago with my 200mb. I still own and use it, even though it's over 16 years old now! Sounds the same as it did when I bought it.

That said, the problem I had was that something internally blew up and I had to have the amp repaired. It took almost 6 months to get the amp back. The repair shop claimed that they had trouble getting the part from GK, who was "notorious" for those kinds of service.

I'm sure those issues are long in the past, and since the amp's had only that one problem in the entire 16 year history I've owned it, I generally just write the service issue off as a one-time-problem.

17. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Trip W,

Welcome aboard to TB! I'm glad we have someone like you over at GK that displays a positive attitude about the service and product quality control issues.

and yes, there will be those that put down GK because the tone doesn't suit their taste, or because they had a bad experience. Don't mind them, just keep doing you job the best that you can!

Keep on, keepin' on!

18. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Thanks for the word of encouragement! It means a bunch. As I stated earlier we are beefing things up in service land. Thanks for the support GFAB!

19. arambass

arambass

Jul 3, 2002
    dfw
    i bought an 800rb brand new in 1983 it sounded great and i loved how easy it was to use.then about a year later for no apperant reason it passed dc current to my 15 frying it as well as the bottom section of the amp.A factory authorized service center fixed the amp and took over a month to do the job.exactly one week later it blew again and passed dc current and blew another 15(this is getting expensive) i sent the amp directly to gk and they said they would fix it under warrenty and extend my warrenty another year ,which at the time i appreciated.well 3 months later i got it back.it worked and sounded like it was supposed too for about 9 months. then another blow and a dc passage and i lost another 15.i called gk and got on the phone with rich kruger who explanied to me that this was a very solid amp and then asked if i was using it correctly. i said yes sir i am with your gk cabinet set up that was recomended in the brochure.he said he would fix the amp one more time but would not fix it again for free.well a month later i got it back and a week after that kaboom! another fried head and a 15 .i swore that day id never buy another gk and havent.i now play ampeg products which have been bullet proof.

20. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    amen...i had the same problems only mine ran me 300.00..i to went ampeg and never looked back