1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK CX vs NEO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt holt, Jun 9, 2015.

1. matt holt

matt holt Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    I haven't seen any threads comparing these two lines of cabinets, so I thought I would start one. There is a fair amount out there on the NEOs, but it seems there is actually not a lot out on CX series in general (some, but not tons). On paper the CXs seem great-powerful, lightweight, and sexy looking, and I'm impressed that the ceramic magnet speakers manage to be comparable in weight (some are even lighter) and power to their neodymium counterparts, all at significantly lower prices.

Essentially, the CX's seem too good to be true, and you know what they say about that. I would probably be tempted to dismiss them if I didn't think so highly of GK, and hadn't been blown away by their abilities to pull off things that seem impossible. Next thing you know they will come out with a 4lbs, 500w amp for under $500 that sounds amazing...Oh wait, they already did that.

I suppose I'm personally curious about comparisons between the CX115 & CX210 vs the NEO115 & NEO112, but I'm sure any and all comparisons between the two lines would benefit the the community, So have at it!

Matthias and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  2. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I was interested in the CX115 at one point but couldn't find any info on it. I even posted here if I remember right. I ended up with a pair of rumble 115v3s that I'm very happy with for a whole lot of reasons.

The GK Neo series get great reviews, but the dimensions of the cabs are too thick for me. I have a GK 212 MBE (first series) in 4 ohm that I gig frequently as a standalone. Same drivers as the neo but a lighter/slimmer cab. Wish they still made those, what a great cab that is.

Sorry I can't really help except I wanted to post because I'm disappointed that the first series MBE cabs are no longer available. I'd have bought a couple if I'd known that and I'm sure you would have liked them.

But yeah, I'd like to hear what people think of the CX series as compared to the neo.

3. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    Bump

4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i've been curious about the CX cabinets, as well. looked for reviews - there are none on sweetwater, amazon, guitar center or sam ash, and only 1 on musician's friend (for the CX410). haven't noticed any at our local GC's, either. if i run into any on my next GC trips, possibly this coming weekend or else the next, i'll try it and report back.

5. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    So, Has GK actually sold any of these things? At that price and weight, I figure they'd be flying off the shelves-of course, none of my local music stores (GC, Sam Ash, ect) seem to have them in stock either, so maybe distribution is a problem? What's weird about that is they all have the MBP cabs, which are cool, but a specialty product if I've ever seen one.

As far as I can tell, there is exactly 1 person on Talkbass with a CX cab (he says he likes it). That doesn't seem possible (there only being 1 CX owner, that is). These things came out like a year ago, SOMEBODY must own them...

6. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    bump

7. Don't Know how many have shipped out. Different models are not in constant production. There is only one factory so products rotate being produced and are done by a certain number of units before something else gets its chance on the line.
    No multiple third party suppliers spitting out someone else's products with G-K.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  8. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    Fair enough, control over the supply line is probably one of the things that makes GK awesome. Even so, it's not like one can't get them. Sweetwater and GC website have them listed as in stock. It just seems odd that so few people have bought them given how good they look on paper.

9. Of course, not every bass player is here on TB and most players don't write reviews (unless it is a complaint) :).

10. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    Good point. Maybe no news is good news, but ya gotta figure TB is somewhat representational. I mean, if 1 in 200 people who bought a CX is on TB, and 1 in 200 of those were to post something about it, even with only 400 units sold there should be something. Maybe I am overestimating the reach of TB.

Even beyond that, there is very little online about them. Between Sweetwater, Sam Ash, Guitar Center, and Musiciansfriend, there is exactly 1 customer reveiw (for the 410) and I can't find anything on youtube in the way of reveiws but the Norm Stockton Demo. Doesn't that seem strange for a product with good specs, that is competitively priced, from a well recognized name, and that has been out for more than a year?

Maybe I should change the name of the thread to the search for bigfoot...er...I mean, the serch for CX:bookworm:

B-string likes this.
  11. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    heading off to guitar center sunday. CX cabs and the markbass blackline little mark are on my list to look for and hopefully try.

B-string likes this.
  12. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I subscribed to this thread. I live in Alaska and can't try these out, but I've noticed a couple things. They don't look as rugged as the Neo cabs. They have what looks like a fabric grill cloth and look like the 1/2" cabinet construction with a black paint finish. Still that would be enough for me. I think--? they might be almost 17" deep?

Watching, watching.....

13. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    yeah, looked like fabric in the pics to me, too. and considering the damage that i did to my rat fur cabs over the years (although part of the damage was from my cat), the fabric thing concerns me.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  14. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Even though that fabric looks like it would snag I would still be interested. LeCover makes custom fabric covers and maybe your cabs could live under a cover away from kitten paws while at home between gigs.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    BizmoBass likes this.
  15. After waffling for quite a while, I recently bought two CX210 cabinets and an MB500 head. I think it's a good match.

Quick cab review: Smooth even sound. Ample lows. Sufficient output and no "farting out", but I haven't gigged them much or pushed them hard yet. The tweeter is "all on" or "all off", but is subtle and not brittle or piercing (This was my biggest reservation, but it hasn't been a problem. In fact, I've been running them with tweeters off)

I have only tried the NEOs in stores - no side by side comparisons to the CX. But I think they sound similar. The NEOs are definitely more rugged in every way.

The CXs need more careful handling, but don't feel "cheap" to me. If money were no object, this rig would not be my first choice. But it is solid, has the "GK sound" and certainly is a good value.

I emailed GK about covers, and they said they will probably be available through their web site sometime in July.

16. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    Thanks Bob, I really appreciate this input. The reality is, at this price, weight, and form-factor, as long as they sound decent, (which it sounds like they do) I would think they are a winner.

I think that these are designed to compete with the Fender Rumble series, which currently uses a cloth grill. The cloth grill is honestly probably my only reservation, the first thing I would do is find an after-market metal grill to replace it with (covers work too, though ;)). I'm very feature-picky, though, and almost every piece of gear I have has some ammount of modification.

17. For me (on paper), the cons outweighed the pros on these cabs - at first. Then I looked into lots of stuff, including Rumbles (combos, because that's all GC had). I ended up taking a gamble on the GK CXs.

Again, they are not "top of the line", but I don't consider them "budget" or
    "entry level" either.

I do prefer metal grills as well, but these will do.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  18. To expound (or expand?) some more: I don't want to over-sell the CX cabs. But for the price, they are great. Mine were in stock at Musicians Friend for $349 (typical street price). They had some used ones for cheap, but the salesman said I might not be happy with their condition, and he could sell me the new ones for 325 each.

I am aspiring toward some high end cabs, but needed a new rig NOW. And budget was a big issue. I looked into TC Electronic RS and K, Fender Rumble, Carvin and Eden EX. They were all similarly priced and all in the running. In the end, it was a bit of a coin toss. Carvins were too heavy and only come in 4 ohm; I couldn't find enough reviews on the Eden stuff to sway me that way, Rumble sound too "vintage". So I pulled the trigger on the GK.

On the construction: They are light and easy to carry. I think my 210s weigh 37 or 39 pounds each. They do have cloth grills, but I think it's got some of that nylon mesh or whatever. Covering is a thin Tolex type - not paint. Wood seems to be 1/2".

I hope this helps others make an informed decision.

19. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    Thanks Bob, those were exactly the kinds of things I was looking to hear. Right now my "big rig" is a pair of SWR workingpro 115s, which sound fine for my purposes and what I spent on them ($300 for both), but at 60 lbs each, are a lot to lug around. I'm hoping to eventually move to something lighter, and the CX's have peaked my interest, mainly b/c of the weight and my affinity for GK.

Just a plug for the Eden EX line you also mentioned, my "little rig" is a pair of the ex112's which sound pretty good if you add some batting to the inside and don't push them too hard. Great for smaller rooms, or if you have PA support.

20. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I agree. Also thanks for the honest opinion on the EX10's. I almost pulled the trigger on two of those for my GK MB200 but I thought the reviews sounded a little too glowing. No one would talk about their limitations, and at that size they had to have limitations. How loud would you say 2 x 110's get?