1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK CX vs NEO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt holt, Jun 9, 2015.

1. matt holt

matt holt Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    I only have the EX112s, so I can't speak to the 110's directly. That being said, the 112's will get pretty loud, but I would say they start farting out sooner that most 112s, probably because of the wizzer cone design. I use them (you definitely need 2 for any thing above the quietest gigs) with an MB500 when my loud-but-not-nuclear rock band plays smaller rooms (bars and such), or when we have FOH support with monitors and the load-in is crappy. I suspect even in those circumstances they may be farting a bit when I really wail on my E and B strings, but It's not enough to be noticeable over the drums, guitar and Keyboard. They are midrange-heavy, (even with the added batting) which is actually really nice in smaller room (especially if we are in a corner) and on hollow-box stages, where I generally find the bass gets super muddy. The middy-ness also helps me hear what notes I'm playing in venues where the sound guy subscribes to the "felt and not heard" approach to bass EQ:rollno:. In any of these cases I usually roll some bass off on my amp so that at least my onstage rig isn't adding to the mud. Predictably, they will go a lot further before farting when I do that.

So, overall, I think the EX cabs (the 112's anyway) are good at being moderate- playing moderate volume, giving you moderation across the frequency range, ect.

They also make EXCELLENT upright cabs, especially when paired with a GK MB series amp (that's actually what I bought them for in the first place) in that case I roll the high and high mids down to about 9 o'clock to get rid of Piezoness. When I do that they get frighteningly close to MBOL for such an inexpensive cab (again, though, I added batting-and some pillow stuffing, now that I think of it)

Wow, that was off-topic, I should really have just put that in a tread about the EX cabs. Sorry, but I hope it's useful!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    alaskaleftybass likes this.
  2. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    My apologies to the OP for our off topic.
    Having said that, thanks for the information. I've been leaning towards the Hartke Hydrive 112's as of late, but I wish someone made a good stout 110 that could pair with a second 110.

Getting back to the GK's I think they would be a good starting point to get into GK gear. Hope to read more reviews.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  3. My original plan (dream, maybe - and I do change my mind frequently) was to get an MB800 and two Neo 212s. But space in my car and mainly the cost (more accurately, a change in disposable income) put that plan on hold.

I too, got not enough solid info on the Eden EX cabinets. Most folks reported that they sound great if you don't push them too hard, and that they sound decent but don't come close to Eden's D series. Also, most reviews were of the smaller cabs (1 X 10 and 1 X 12).

I almost opted for the highly praised Kustom KXB 500 head too. But in the end, I went for GK all around, this time.

Bottom line is that you really have to spend some time with any gear. So, that's what I'm doing. I don't expect this to be the last rig I ever buy, but it did live up to my expectations and serves my needs.

4. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    The neo 212 is 16" depth. The MBE I series 212 was 14.5", lighter weight, same drivers and metal grill. Why they don't make them anymore I don't know. I have one and absolutely love it, wish I'd bought a few.

5. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    How deep is your CX cab?

6. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Check out Ashdown MI 1x10. I'm getting 2 to pair with a MB500. Jim

7. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Congrats! I look forward ot your report!

8. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    You're forgiven;). Also, two things: the EX cabs do sound pretty darn good, I don't want to think I don't like them. As for the loudness factor, the reality is that there are very few single 12 and 10 inch cabs that will sound good at higher volumes, even with a pair. That's why 410s and 115s are the norm ( and with the latter you're still probably gonna want a pair). The few single small driver cabs that will sound good at high volumes are gonna cost you a pretty penny:greedy:.

As for the CX's being a good starting point to get int GK, I'm sure that's the roll they are designed to serve in the GK product line:).

9. matt holt

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    I suspect the price of neodymium going through the roof (or so I've been told) had something to do with their discontinuation. It seems logical, given the similarities in aesthetics between the MBE and the CX lines, the CX design process started with a call to the engineering dept at GK saying "we need to replicate the MBEs, but with non-neodymium drivers".
    That's pure conjecture, of course.

10. matt - I assumed the CX line was a cost effective replacement to the MBE series too. Interestingly, I believe the MB combos still use neo speakers.

alaska - From GK's website, dimensions for the CX210 are 14.5 D X 23 W X 19 H. Weight is 37 lb. Speaker placement is diagonal.

11. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks sir. That's a very manageable weight in my opinion....

12. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    The CX series is our first cabinet system designed from the ground up to be manufactured in the U.S. The cabinet and drivers incorporate all new technology, new high performance cones and voice coils combined with high tolerance manufacturing provide perfornance/cost benefits not possible with earlier designs.
    RAG

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  13. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i've been looking for this thread but couldn't find it. i finally got to try some of the CX cabs - they have them at the valley sam ash for anyone in the l.a. area. i wouldn't call the grills cloth - it's made with woven plastic filaments.

rag, thanks for the info.

14. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Annnnnnnd? Please do tell! What do you think? :)

15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i liked the ones i tried, but honestly the situation at sam ash wasn't ideal - one of the employees was playing super loud sax the entire time we were there, and the heads i would have liked to try with them weren't the ones i got to use. i'd like to a/b them against the neos somewhere where the killer sax isn't blasting :D

16. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yes, the Valley Sam Ash is far from ideal for checking out bass equipment, even without an overzealous sax player.

17. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    My 2x12 Neo II cab weighed 50# but it now has wheels. When I pick it up to load, I use one of the wheels as a handle. Mine has the swing-out handles on the sides, so I just grab my two 'handles' and lift it up and over. Easy. Going up a flight of steps can be difficult but that's not every gig. I also ordered the GK cover which fits like a glove and does protect the cab nicely.

lesliegl and TonyP- like this.
  18. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Rather than start a new thread, I'm just going to Necro-bump this one. Has anybody A/B'd the NEO and CX cabs?

19. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    @TonyP-

Tony is a professional player and a GK user. He gave me excellent info in regards to GK's cabinets earlier today.

Al Kraft and Kro like this.
  20. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

This reply is good to see, I just ordered two of the CX210 cabs. I love me some GK gear! Almost my entire stable of Gear is GK except my basses.:D

Arthur U. Poon and wave rider like this.