1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK CX210 vs GK Neo 212 vs Peavey Headliner 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nevermorefu, Feb 3, 2017.

1. nevermorefu

nevermorefu

Feb 3, 2017
    Looking for opinions on a few cabs:

Peavey Headliner 210 ($230, new)
    Gallien Krueger CX210 ($250, used)
    Acoustic B115 Neo ($200, used)
    Gallien Krueger Neo 212 ($300, used)

I haven't seen much on most of those cabs. Which will be less likely to "fart out?" How do they sound compared to each other? I wanted to stay under $250, but that Neo seems like a good deal. Not sure if the tone of Neo goes well with stoner/classic rock though...

Background:

I just sold my Hartke 410XL because it was too heavy and farted out on the low B. I'm looking for a new small cab for practice /gigging. I have a Gallien Krueger 400rb III and I don't want to spend more than $250 (I have a fender 810 if I ever need it). I play in a... metalcore? band (Killswitch Engage and such, not my kind of music). At home, I play stoner rock, doom, classic rock, blues, etc.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. nevermorefu

nevermorefu

Feb 3, 2017
    Tried the Peavey Headliner 210 and the Acoustic Neo 115. Both were much better than the Hartke. On my way up to try the GK.

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    GK 2x12 should have been your only trip to.purchase.

AstroSonic and shoot-r like this.
  4. nevermorefu

nevermorefu

Feb 3, 2017
    I have to admit the GK 210 sounds good, but the cloth vibrates a bit....

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

Of the cabinets you have listed....the G.K. 212 "should" be head and shoulders above the others on your list.

Or, if you think a 210 cabinet maybe what your ears want to hear, I'd suggest checking into a Avatar 210 bass cabinet.
    You can get a new Avatar 210 with "MUCH" better drivers and horn than the 210's on your list for a few dollars more.
    I've been heavily gigging in a "loud" working band with two Avatar 210 Neo cabinets for 9 + years.....LOVE them!

www.avatarspeakers.com

6. Artobass

Artobass

Jan 21, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    GK Neo 212 by far. Imo

7. nevermorefu

nevermorefu

Feb 3, 2017
    I'm a fan of Avatar. Great quality and a great price, but I've read the bass cabs are heavy. I ended up buying the GK 210 for $225. The bass response was much better than the others I tried (being ported); I actually turned the lows down and low mids up. It's a little bright for my taste, but eq and the Tech21 VT Bass take care of that. My sound improved dramatically with the cab (not as good as the 810, but I'm never moving that). It has great punch and I found myself turning down during practice because I cut through the mix so well.

I do wish I had tried the GK212 Neo, but I've read they are even more present in the upper mids which is not my sound. The size and weight are perfect; I can carry it with one hand and it easily fits in my Sentra. The vibration was solved with some Velco between the grill and cab. It does feel cheaper, but still sturdy. I just hope it holds up...

8. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Please tell me more about the peavey experience.

9. nevermorefu

nevermorefu

Feb 3, 2017
    The Peavey was good imo. It was warmer than the GK, but being a closed cab, the low end was rolled off. It was the tightest of the cabs I tried. There was some minor speaker distortion with my GK 400RB III when I pound the low C (tuned down 4 string PBass) but the mild distortion was honestly very "musical" (the GK I bought does as well, so I think few 210s can handle what I'm throwing at them). My Hartke sounded like the speakers were going to blow up on that note, but the Peavey and GK just have a little growl. If I were always running with a 115 as well, the Peavey would have been great. I do prefer the sound of the GK (more transparent), but the Peavey I feel had a more vintage sound (rolled off lows and a low mid focus). The cab was heavier than the GK, but still easy to lift. The cab is much deeper (I'd have to put it in my back seat with the speakers pointed up), but the handles are like a guitar cab which I love. I hate the handles on the GK.

10. sirvill

sirvill

Jan 15, 2016
    New Zealand
    Have just been looking for a "solution" as I'm getting a bit of distortion with my low B, which is also a down-tuned 4 stringer - it sounds ok (kinda cool to be honest) but i don't really want to trash my headliner cab!!

Thought it might be because I need to go up a gauge and the strings are rattling about.

11. novamike

novamike

Nov 9, 2008
    i had 2 GK neo 212 cabs with an 800w fusion head, playing metal, cabs were a joke!!! more meant for jazz and lighter rock.

12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    GK NEO 212 for 300 bucks? If it's in good shape, go for it.

Al Kraft likes this.
  13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I'm calling bunk on that. Why would you buy two expensive cabs without doing some research?

14. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Out of that list the GK Neo 212 would be the best value and clearly the top performer IMO.

Hey @novamike, I can't help but believe that at least one driver or entire cab was wired out of phase and/or not working at 100% in your case. IME two GK Neo 212 cabs should easily be able to do damage to a house (and your hearing) with that head.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  15. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    A pair of 112 NEO's can do serious damage.

Al Kraft likes this.
  16. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I know mine can! :thumbsup:

jeff7bass likes this.
  17. novamike

novamike

Nov 9, 2008
    thats what i was hoping for, especially with my GK fision 800 head, just failed all around, in fact GK had to replace 2 drivers because they failed.....NEO cab just didnt work for me, went to a Mesa powerhouse 2x12......KILLER cab, yes its like a SVT.....sold that also. now in the market for a killer 2x10 that is light yet powerful.
    any suggestions??

18. musicman556

musicman556 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Smyrna, TN
    Killer 210 that's like and powerful? Sounds like a job for the Mesa Subway 210 to me.

Love mine!

19. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The new Mesa Subway 212 might do it for you.

20. novamike

novamike

Nov 9, 2008
    love GK gear but these 12" cabs just didnt do it! farting way too much... brand new cabs FAILED!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021