GK Deisel Dawg!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joe P, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Why do we hardly ever hear this pedal mentioned around here?

I've been playing with one at Uncle Bob's Music in Milwaukee, and they finally said "here - just take one with you, and play with it!".

I'm very impressed with this pedal! I find excellent tone, powerful EQing, amazingly low-noise - a powerful, versatile palette of different tones.

The three tone controls - Bottom, Middle and Edge - offer a smooth, really-wide range of sounds, while still being not at all 'touchy'.

There isn't a bad sound on the thing, as far as I can so-far tell. From the lowest 'warming' gain, all the way up to 'skull-crusher' - everything is useful and musical.

I might mention that it still can't duplicate what my ODB-3 will do for me in the broken-glass/obnoxious-quack catagory - but I pretty-much can't get a good sound out of an ODB without some compression before it, and the D.Dawg sounds spectacular all by itself, at any setting (I still generally like it best with the CS-3 before it, myself, but I'm a compression-freak).

One thing that was interesting to me is how it acted in series with the ODB. I set up my chain with CS-3 first (tone knob set at 3:00, for the usual treble pre-boost for my T.I. Jazz Flats) to ODB to D.D. - all in the loop of a NS-2 noise supressor; A CEB-3 chorus went after the supressor - just before the GK head. I ended-up setting the ODB for an even MORE-than-usual shards-of-glass high-gain trebly-tone (treble-knob almost FLAT - I usually run it backed-off at least a little - especially because I use a JBL PA cab for a bottom), and set the D.D. so that by-itself it gave a beautiful, natural light overdrive tone (the three tone knobs all around 12:00). Now I can run the D.D. alone for a nataral SVT-ish sound, and the ODB alone for that nice bucket'O'glass thrown into a wood-chipper sound that I love so-well (I don't mean ALONE-alone; the compressor is squashing-away this whole time). BUUUT! - when I ran'em BOTH, it sounded like LESS distortion than the ODB alone; it took off most of the ODB's 'glass', and had killer sustain, with super-dooper infinite-sustain from string feedback.

Something that I thought maybe couldn't be beat on the ODB, this distortion can beat: guitar-like metal-style power-chords (1-5-octave chords on the high strings). With the mids dipped, the treble boosted, and the gain way-up, the Deisel Dawg slays; absolutely slays.

I MUST buy this pedal.

There should be more discussion about this device. Good or bad - this pedal deserves some more scrutiny around here - after-all, it's from our freinds at GK; one of the Great Names in Bass tone!

2. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I was always curious as to what they sounded like, but the size always put me off. I don't see why it needs to be so damn huge!
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, I tried it and thought it was ok but nothing jumped out at me and said 'wow' about it.
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is good: What distortion DOES have wow-factor for you?

5. superkicky

Sep 3, 2005
    Grant from Sonic Flood uses one. He did a quick demo for us during a sound check; the tone was mind-blowing. Here's another vote for a pedal that goes from light, SVT-style overdrive to all out, balls to the wall distortion.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I want sound clips. LOL.

AFAIK, it's mostly the distortion circuit from the 2001RB.

I have yet to try the pedal, or even see one in person.

And I'm too broke to order on a whim. :(
  7. why? how huge is it? as big as a russian Big Muff or what? please compare it to a pedal of similar size

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's about 6" wide, 7.5" deep, and 3" high.

9. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    it must be as tall as an US big muff
  10. I'd like to try one, never seen one in a store though. Kinda weird considering how many stores carry GK stuff. I love the sound of the distortion on my hartke bass attack but it'd be nice to have something that could fall somewhere in between the hartke and my muff pedal.
  11. yeah, if its the same distortion that they build into the GK amps, it sounds great...i had it on my backline, and if i could describe what i heard in one word, i'd say "bite"
    Barq's got nothing on the desiel Dawg...
  12. superkicky

Sep 3, 2005
    Here's a photo for size reference (again, Grant's pedalboard):

13. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    you know what??? Ask the guy to make some clips for the whole community!!!!
  14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well - I got a chance to obscess over my borrowed one for a couple hours last night.

The deisel Dawg may finally be what could get me to turn off my compressor. Everyone should know by now that I love the Boss ODB-3 distortion, but that I've always said they don't sound good alone; that you have to run a compressor before them to get the killer tone that I love. Now while the ODB's character really is transformed with the addition of compression at its input, I'm a compression freak who pretty-much thinks that everything sounds better with compression... I've always said that for my playing style, I believe that plucking aggression or whatever should be used to change tone and not volume; that in the kind of music that I play (that MOST electric bassists play...), the bass should always hold its place in the mix, volume-wise. At the same time, I think that this 'tone aggression-expression' thing that I'm talking about is way under-used (mainly, I think, because bassists are always 'too busy' using their plucking fingers to adjust their mix/volume all the time, being that they don't have any compression)...

Well this Deisel Dawg is wonderful for enhancing this effect of 'plucking dynamics changing the tone, but not the volume'! It exhibits a very smooth and natural transition from warm, tube amp like 'wave compression', into a discernable 'fuzzy-ish' clipping sound - there's no 'akward' transition range where it seems to sputter or whatever, like with many distortions I've heard. This isn't a new idea, of course - tube amps tend to do this naturally, and this 'natural compression' thing used to be the norm!

What I want to try yet is to put the D.D. FIRST in the chain, with the compressor second - that way I'd always have this tone-expression available to me when the D.D. is engaged. I don't think I'll like that as much, though.

Oh - also, I made a major change from the setup I talked about yesterday: It's better to have the ODB AFTER the D.D.! The D.D. does better for the ODB than compression does. I mean to say that this ODB is turned into an even MORE-killer distortion with only the D.D. in front of it, than with only compression (but, of course, I think it sounds best with Both).

One thing that I noticed is that the D.D. DOES 'suck lows' - I'm kind of surprised, but it just does. I mean the lowest-lows - it's especially noticeable when I have my Xciter engaged before it; even with the D.D.'s Bottom contol turned-up all the way (actually, tone doesn't change much from the 12:00-position and-up), it does reduce (I'd dare even say "chops-out") the hi-fi low-lows. This isn't all-bad; it's more of an old-school tone.

I didn't play very much with the D.D.'s heavy-distortion sound. I did get some powerful, raging distortion out of it, but I really love my ODB tone for that, and the D.D. is SO good at the lower-gain natural tube-type overdrive thing!

Gotta run!

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Aw, man... I was right there with you, nodding my head in agreement about tone and volume, mentally adding a D.D. onto my pedal board, and then you go and pop the bubble. Yeah, I know those lowest frequencies are often lost (or even undesireable) in a live stage setting, but in a recording situation it sucks to lose the lows. Well, I guess I can't expect every piece of gear to suit all situations. Let us know if you get to try it onstage!
  16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah - I thought it was important to mention that. Keep in-mind that I was doing all this testing through headphones (GOOD 'phones, mind you).. Now I s'pose that some who'd read that would think "Aww! well the whole review is bogus then" - but wait-a-sec: That's why I use a PA cab for a cab - so my setup sounds essentially the same in the phones, and on the stage, and through the house-PA, and on the hard-drive! ...But - my phones do have very low, extended frequency response, as-compared with the JBL JRX125 cab, which is only rated down to something like 39Hz @-3dB or something like that. I didn't notice this lows-loss at band practice on Tues; only in the phones on Wed., but it wasn't just a little EQ 'shelf', it was like a pretty definate roll-off, I must say. The roll-off was way-down there in the 'thud'-zone, but if scrutinized, the loss was even noticeable when playing high notes, as compared to playing'em clean with just the compressor and the Xciter.

This makes sense to me though, actually, and doesn't really change my mind about wanting it bad! The D.D. would be for my 'old-school' sound! Also - I'm not sure why this is, but when I put the old-faithful ODB on after the D.D. (for my hard-distortion sound) - even with the bass knob set 'flat' - it puts the subs right back in-there, and more! (Man! The sound is just astounding to me with the D.D./ODB series-combination!)

In case you havn't heard an example of my ODB-sound, here's a link to a recent demo-recording with me on fuzz-bass:
    http://www.narwold.org/joep/Jungle Love (small).mp3
    This sound leaves-out the "schkwank-schkwink!" fret noise that I love, as I was being 'conservative', and rolled the bass tone knob off all-the-way (bridge pup).

I told'em I'd bring it back today, and I DIDN'T tell'em that I'm BROKE! I'm going in there today after-work with my best Sad-Puppy-Eyes, and try to convince Bob himself to let me pay it off @ twenty bucks a week! If this all works out, then I'll get to use it on-stage this Saturday!

Wish me luck - I'm going to start practicing my S.P. Eyes right now...

Attached Files:

• sad.jpg
      File size:
      4.4 KB
  17. ...I really, REALLY like GK's distortion. I don't think there is a distortion that *doesn't* suck lows, but this thing has, in my opinion, the best distortion for bass, period. I have tried many times to dial in the perfect distortion on my BassPodXT and the DD has always been the factor for comparison.

The DD is growlingly great.
  18. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I've tried this pedal a few times and like it alot. Will get one when I have the money.
  19. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    besides that, distorted bass is all about mids and low mids, maybe a cool try for the low low lovers could be to test this one into an LS2 boss
  20. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    Great sound on the MP3 Joe, thanks.