1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK discontinued the 400RB heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lammchop93, May 2, 2010.

1. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I just noticed GK updated their products section of their website. The 400RB's aren't on there anymore. Neither are the RBX cabinets.

Looks like the new MBX cabs are identical to the RBX, with a chrome grill instead. The new MBE cabs are for the MB combo's.

I think they did good with the cabinets, but the 400 was a nice head for a cheap price, but I guess in this economy, you have to cut somewhere.:meh:

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Hate to see em' go...wonder if the 800 will be next?
    Maybe the G.K. MB2-500/MB-500 heads have taken their place in consumer demand?
    I recently went from my old 800 to a MB2-500 head...haven't looked back!

3. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I have a fusion 550 and I am in love. I had a 1001RB-II before, and I don't regret the change at all.

I don't think they would get rid of the 800 just because it is such a time tested legendary amp.

4. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    i think the MB200 took the 400RB's place.. same wattage, etc..

but the 400RB has a very distinctive voice and it's sad that it's not there..

5. I love GK stuff, and this is just personal taste, but am I the only one who dislikes the chrome grill over the black grill?

6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1...
    The G.K. 800 is a time tested working musicians amp.
    I like to brag about my gettin' mine new in 1984 and it's never went down, never been in a repair shop...

But...

I hate to admit this...

I prefer my MB2-500...:oops:

7. The 400RB is probably more of a classic than the 800rb. I have certainly seen many more of those in clubs, bars and venues than the 800. But I can see how it's a low powered amp compared to the rest of the line.

8. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I have a MB200 head on order and cant wait to try it.

9. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I got an answer... supply and demand. :cool:

10. WE HAVE A WINNER! :hyper: :D

11. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Don't forget the Backline 600.

I'm not sure that amp is to replace the 400RB but it's in the same power range.

Despite its name, the Backline is an awesome amp. I even prefer it over my 1001RB-II.

I never had a chance to play a 400RB so I don't know what is special about it.
    But it's a GK so I assume it is good.

12. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I'm love my 400RB-IV. It is now a classic I think (discontinued), and a great American made GK head.

13. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    thats cool man... I sold my 800RB soon after getting my mb2500... have not had one moment where I wanted it back.. :bag:

14. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Time to grab a 400 RB before they get expensive. A lot of guys like me really love that amp. I sure got some long and great service out of the one I had. Reliable and always sounded good and a surprising amount of power for 200 watts.

15. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    I think the original 400rb head is another animal entirely than the 400rbIV.

the original ones sound very simular to the 800rb and are just plain awesome!

the 400rbIV is sort of similar to the backline 600 w/o the distortion and are more related to the 1001rbII and 700rbII tonewise.

I do miss the original 400rb's, but i won't miss the 400rbIV.
    the 800rb better not go anywhere.. i love mine!

16. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    I had two original 400RBs from the '80s, and a new RB III in '01. The original ones had better tones to me. They looked cooler too and could handle getting the bejesus pushed out of them. The newer heads just clip too easily to me. I still play an 800RB from the '80s and a new MB2-500. The 800RB has better tone, but the MB is a little beast and still has the classic grindiness. I think that SS watts have just gotten increased in the last decade and that is why the 400's are disappearing. Back in the day a 2 x 15 rig with a 400RB was thunderous. Now the MB has 500 watts and is considered the low line for GK. I love volume, but the greater wattage heads sound more harsh and plasticy than the older heads. The old 400RB was loud as hell. I ran mine through 3-15"s!!

17. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I agree.

18. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    I had a 400 that I sold and I regret it to this day. When I went back to college full time combined with a 40 - 60 hour work week I knew that putting time into a live band would be next to impossible so I decided to sell it.

What I liked about it was that it was a workhorse. It just kept going and going. Then it kept going some more. It was also very easy to dial in a sound for any given situation or bass that was hooked into it. It wasn't the best, it wasn't the loudest but it did what it was designed to do very well at a great price. I played plenty of large to mid sized gigs and it never let me down.

19. Agreed. The 400rb iv isn't really the same thing as the old school 400rb. The buttons on the old ones are much more durable!

20. Hey guys, I'm looking at the list on their site of "discontinued products" (under owner's manuals) and the 700rb-II is there! The 400rb-IV is still up on the current products list. I'm wondering if they messed up and should have kept the 700 on the working list and the 400 on the discontinued list?