1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK fan doesn't work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LDonnie, Apr 18, 2010.

1. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Dear Talkbass,

I just received my new GK 700RB-II amp. It's a great sounding amp and it makes me smile :D, but the fan doesn't engage when I turn it on :eyebrow:. I did a search on this but I couldn't find anything. Is the fan supposed to kick in on higher temperatures or do I have a malfunctioning unit? I would hate to have to send it back :/ :crying:

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    when you first turn it on, the fan isn't supposed to be running. the fan kicks in when it gets hot.

3. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Awesome. Thanks for the response!

4. The fan is also variable speed, when/if you get warm enough to have it turn on it won't be at full speed unless needed.

5. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The Fan Is Soo quite on that amp that you will not even know it is running!!! It is very nice!! :D

6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You will know it's running when the amp doesn't go into overhed protection. It's amazing what some air circulation will do with that litle heatsink. It doesn't take much air movement at all to keep it cool.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I've got a pair of 700rb-IIs, and have noticed that these heads run very cool... In fact, I have to push considerable lows - for awhile - at decent volumes to get the fan to kick on - and even then, it's not on long... When I 1st got them, I was worried that the fans didn't work - until I pushed them hard enough to make the fans come on, to verify that they actually do work... I've played some gigs where the temps were close to 100F, and haven't had one overheat yet - and that's in loud modern rock/metal bands, with me pushing alot of low end...

If you want to make sure your fan is working, make sure you can see it, crank that baby up, and play thru it continuously 'til the fan kicks in - but be prepared for this process to take a little while...

Hope this helps,

- georgestrings