GK fans, new head on the site!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TSanders, Feb 15, 2006.

1. I know I WILL get one of these when they become available. Sounds like a dream. (3) 12AX7 Pre, with 500/50 watt biamp SS power amp. Footswitchable goodness as well. Only 24.5 pounds to boot.

2. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Sweet! It has motorized knobs too. Very cool. I can't wait to try this out.
  3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
  4. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I wonder what this will go for????
  5. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    HEY DAN! When will a manual be available for review? How about better pics of the front panel?:hyper:
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Wow!!! Bump!!

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Have you played this head yet Daniel? Impressions?
  8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    GK.......... tubes?

Wow, GK is starting to put tubes in their amps now? This is surely a sign of the apocalypse, and undoubtedly signifies the end of the world :p
  9. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego

Do you have a link? I tried to do a search and could not find any pics.
  10. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Damn, I did not need to start GASsing for a new head!!!!!
  11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

I hear ya man.

Can anyone explain what the biamp feature does? Will it work with a single 4x10 cab with a horn, or does it require two cabs?
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have never owned anything from GK mainly because of the way people describe the tone they get from it, not really my thing. Well, that's about to change. Sign me up for one of these bad boys.

13. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I'm having some SERIOUS Gas for this amp. I was just talking to the guys in my band on Friday that I think I'm going to trade in my 700 for a Tubed amp and wished GK made one so that it would match my NEO Cabs. (I'm a dork for a matching RIG). Then lo and behold this tread popped up. I was going to go all Mesa but now hummmmmm Fusion 550????

I wish Dan would reply to this tread but for whatever reason it would seem that it may be too early for him to be able to give us any info.
  14. stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    motorized knobs??? >>>>> another that could break...?
  15. Retail is $1199.

The horn biamp sends a seperate horn and woofer signal through a single four pin speakon cable. So the biamp is between the horn and the woofers not between two cabs. If you do have two cabs hooked up, they will both be horn biamped.

The warmth of the tubes and the punch of the solid state amp together is an unbelievable combination. We had several of our artist try it out at the NAMM show and some of them prefered and sounded better with the 1001RB head while others really liked and benefited from the tubes. I need to spend more time with it to really understand what's happening with the tone so that I can explain it better but I can tell you right now that it's a killer head.
  16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    What are the motorized knobs for? Seems like cost could be cut (and avoiding something going wrong) if they were ditched.
  17. The motorized knobs allow you to dial in two seperate sounds and footswitch between them. In our research, we're finding that this is becoming increasingly important for bass players.

Reliability is ultra important to us so the motorized knobs will need to go through some serious testing until we're satisfied with it but so far the reliability of a standard pot versus the motorized pot seems to be about the same.
  18. Exactly. This summer, when I go amp hunting, its most likely going to come down between this and a 1001RB-II. Then for the road trip for the perfect cab!:hyper:
  19. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego

I'll volenteer to test the head for you guys free of charge! I'll play it for hours switching back and forth for you. Back and forth, back and forth....................

20. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Looks like an 810 cab is on the way as well.