1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK Fusion 550 and neo 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TenaciousE, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Contemplating a new rig--GK Fusion 550 and GK neo 810. Hopefully I will be trying it out soon, but I wanted to see if anybody had used this combination before and could share their thoughts.
    Thanks!

2. DrewM85

DrewM85

Jan 2, 2012
    DE
    Ive never played the Fusion 550 but I have had the chance to try out a neo 8x10 cab. The cab sounds great and its VERY loud. I wouldnt use it due to its size alone. If you must have 8 speakers I would go with two 4x10s. Much easier to move and if you have a smaller gig the 4x10 will be more then enough power. That 8x10 driven at full power is enough to overpower just about any medium sized PA system.

3. I have never played either, but I do have an PV 810tx. It is no light weight by any means. As long as there are no stairs, or you have a buddy to help you carry it up and down, I find it easier to move a single 810 than two separate cabs. I never dead lift my cab, just tilt it in to the back of my car.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Anybody who claims two 4x10's are easier to move than an 8x10 has never gigged with an 8x10.

While it may seem logical that two 4x10's would be easier to move, quite the opposite is true. The 810 is its own dolly and you don't have to lift it, just tilt and go, and just tilt it in the back of a SUV or van. With a 4x10 you have to dead-lift it, which is much more effort.

Stairs, yes . . . a problem sometimes. But if you rarely encounter them, the 8x10 is definitely easier in actual practice.

5. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Truth.

6. Even if there are stairs you can always tilt it on its side and slide it up them. I do it with my PH412 and managed to get the thing up a 10 set staircase by myself.

7. PWV

PWV Gold Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Tacoma
    +1 I have a hatchback, and tilting the fridge is less awkward then lifting two other smaller cabs.

Haven't tried the combo in question, but I have had great success with Genz Benz Class D heads powering the GB 810-XB3.

8. Thanks for the advice, but has anybody actually played the gear in question?

9. Sorry no I have the Fusion 550 with the G-K NEO412. I can only imagine the NEO810 would need a demolition licence to use it. The 412 already loosens wood stage nails :D