GK FUSION 550 DI (Direct Out) low signal :(

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by <*(((<, Oct 21, 2018.

1. <*(((<

<*(((<

Dec 28, 2015
    Brno
    Hi guys,

I had never ani problem with output level of my DI output of my amp, but I have been hearing from the sound guys lately, that I have realy low level of my signal from DI output. Last gig the sound guy showed me a level of my signal on his mix and realy - on a scale of 10, I barely reached 3 :(

During the last recording, another sound engeneer had to use his own preamplifier for the same reason - weak signal and noise :(

It´s realy frustrating, becouse it´s never happen before and don´t know, what to do... buy a new DI box ? :(

Any tips ?

thanks for help

Andrew

2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Looks like there is an adjustment for the level of the direct out (little knob on the back, next to the XLR jack). You can also choose to send it pre or post the amp's preamp section. If you're send post any lowering of the signal in the pre would affect the output level of the DI.

Have you played with those settings?

s0c9 and Wasnex like this.
  3. One would hope a bass player and two engineers would have the collective nouse to adjust an output level knob.

bass battery dying?

Possible tube going.

4. <*(((<

<*(((<

Dec 28, 2015
    Brno
    Of course... The DI volume knob is on max a and I play with compressor in fx loop... I tried turn up and down gain on preamp, master volume... Level on compressor in fx loop and still problem going on...

5. <*(((<

<*(((<

Dec 28, 2015
    Brno
    Man... I am not an idiot... Battery is new, you can turn up and down all volume and gain knobs and still problemgoing on...

Tube problem sounds possible, becouse a I have the Amp from 2012, so I don't know if 6 years of using Amp can beat Tubes...but output level of master and gain during a cab sounds like a new...

6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Didn't mean to insult your intelligence, just start with the simple trouble shooting. If it was once fine and then this issue developed it sounds like an internal problem. Could be the leads to the for the xlr jack or di level adjust have a weak connection or worse a cracked trace on a circuit card. Could have happened from transporting over the years. The amp has an effects loop so try cleaning the send jack. If you don't use the loop it can build corrosion in the internal parts of the jack and mess with signal flow. Just push a cable in and out of the jacks in the loop a bunch of times and see if it helps. This is a long shot cause if that were the issue I'd expect the sound from the cab to have issues too but it's easy enough to clean so you might as well.

A di box would solve the immediate issue (you lose the pre/post option) but if there are broken parts inside they may get worse and cause other problems. If it were me I'd take it to a tech.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 6, 2021