GK Fusion 550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ras1983, Feb 18, 2006.

1. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    check this out, the new GK Fusion 550. Someone already mentioned this head when NAMM was on, but this is the first official news i have encountered.

"Gallien-Krueger, the king of solid state bass amps, introduces its first bass head featuring an all tube preamp. The Fusion 550 bass head incorporates a uniquely designed six stage tube preamp paired with a 500 watt version of the high current solid state power amp used in the 1001RB-II. The rich warmth of tubes combined with the quick, punchy power that GK bass amps are known for is an experience like no other. And as if that wasn't enough, GK takes the next step in innovation by incorporating motorized knobs which allow you to store two different settings. This gives you the ability to dial in a separate overdriven or slap tone and footswitch between them. A first for a fully analog bass amplifier! The Fusion 550 also features a simplified version of GK's exclusive 50 watt Horn Bi-Amp System. Dial in the horn where you like it and as you adjust your volume with the master control the ratio between the woofer and tweeter is preserved. Other features include tube driven four band active EQ and voicing filters with a frequency select for the contour control. The rear panel features include Neutrik Speakon and ¼" speaker output jacks, effects loop, tuner out, and a footswitch input jack. Also on the rear panel is a DI output which uses an isolated transformer for ultra-quiet operation. The Fusion 550 should begin appearing in stores around June 2006."

Now, if only they would release the pre-amp as a seperate product. My (or your's) 1001RB-II + Fusion 550 preamp = all possible tones i would want to cover, with BALLS!!!:smug:

Mind you, the 1001RB-II already covers it all, but what's an extra bit of GAS gonna do?:D
  2. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I am really excited to see the release of this amp. It looks like it should be really cool. I just wish it came out sooner than June.

:hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:
  3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'm really looking forward to the release of the Fusion 750 and the Neo 4x10.
    The Fusion heads look great and I think combined with the Neo 4x10, that would be all the rig I would ever need.
    The GK tone has really grown on me. I think the addition of the tube pre will really provide players with an even wider variety of tones to use!
    Good job GK, now get 'em out there for us!
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Still in the design phase, still a prototype at the moment, so no sound clips yet. But it's coming... eventually.
  5. I almost bought a 1001RB this month. Now I'll have to wait for the Fusion...
  6. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    wow! cool spotting ras1983!!!

definitly gotta check this out before pulling the trigger on a wt550 or thunderfunk!
  7. Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    The amp you can't buy is always better than the one you can buy today. In software it's called "Vaporware."

A friend of mine owned a junkyard and customers would come in and ask, "How much for this part?" He's say, "$40." They'd reply, "But the other junkyard sells them for $30." So my friend would say, "Then buy it from them." And the customer would answer, "But they don't have any." My friend would reply, "I sell them for $30 too when I don't have any."

You can always wait to be disappointed. Do you follow me? I'm not knocking G&K. I'm just commenting on the logic of waiting for future products.
  8. Id still wait on the GK before you pull the trigger on a WT-550 (great amp) or a Thunderfunk (not my thing).Try em all and get what works.
  9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I follow you on this one for sure!!! You may wait and wait only to find it's not the amp for you...
  10. I'm sure you're not biased at all :p
  11. Now I gotta figure out if I should buy the Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II I was planning on, or wait. But if I wait till June to check out the GK I should probably just wait till fall for the new ABM 500 and check that out too................DAMN IT!!

It's always something
  12. OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    Same exact situation here bro. EXACT same situation :meh:
  13. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah thats a totally a fair call... i could wait for the next amp to come after the gk... its a never ending cycle... i haven't actually heard a thunderfunk except for the clips on your website and basstasters (which i really like :) )so i gotta try that anyway... i'm glad greensquare has distribution! but i have to say i'm really excited about the new 550b version! pics look great in the other thread.

EDIT... Other factor is anyway i dont' have the money right now and i think the gearbox in my new (second hand) car might be about to fall apart... :( so it might be a while anyway before i can go ahead...

EDIT 2! other thing that had me wondering was that i own a gk now and have for a long time and it interests me as to how this new one with tubes sounds... (probably closer to how i want to sound these days) but then the weight and size advantage gets lost, 3rack spaces etc... hmmm
  14. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    The weight is only supposed to be about 25lbs. Not bad for a 3 space amp!

As far as waiting goes, I'm in the same boat. I need a new amp and there are several new amps coming out. Unfortunately they're all coming out later this spring/summer.

GK Fusion 550
    GK Fusion 750
    Ashdown ALAD 1000
    Ashdown Evo III
    Ampeg SVT8 Pro

I'm sure there's more! I hate waiting.
  15. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    how much is that thing gonna cost?
  16. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    RMC, formerly Rik's Music quoted me $800.
  17. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Woah, I haven't even heard it, but GK does great stuff, and I really want it already.