1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Fusion real world review !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by birminghambass, Sep 13, 2008.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Played my Fusion on a gig last night for the first time. I'm owned many amps through the years, most recently I've been using an Ampeg 3Pro or a GK 700rb2 with Ampeg and GK cabs. I have also owned an 800rb and 1001rb2. I play in a rock/heavy rock cover band and use Stingrays and Jazz basses.

The first thing I noticed was how different it sounded from the 700rb2. It seemed to have more character in the mids and slightly less punch but with more warmth. Exactly what you'd expect from a GK with tubes. The boost knob is missing from these amps but I didn't miss it at all. I always used the boost on the 700rb2 at about 10-12 o'clock, but the Fusion already has that "valve effect" going on so having that function would be redundant.

The eq is very simple and therefore perfect for me. The 4 band seems just like the typical GK 4 band on their other heads. The best feature IMO is the combo contour switch and knob. I never really used the contour on any GK head I've owned until now. The ability to switch frequencies on fly is just plain awesome. With the knob at 11 o'clock there is a profound difference when switching between the 2 frequencies. The best part is how musical both sounded. I kept it up for fat finger-style lines and flipped it down for more punch when needed. IMO this is more useful that the channel switching and I wish it were available via footswitch.

I also really dig the new H.M.S. I used it some with a GK Neo 15 with the special GK speaker cables and it seemed to be cleaner with less hiss than the 700rb2 did. More subtle I guess you'd say.

This amp is built like a tank. Everything feels solid, but I'm leery of the motorized knob feature and probably won't be using it much.

Tone-wise I though it might sound similar to my SVT 3Pro. Not even close. The Fusion is more aggressive and less fat and round. It reminds me a bit of a Mesa M-Pulse but with more manageable lows and more clean highs. Oh, and this thing is LOUD with plenty of headroom. It made my SVT 3 Pro run and hide.

If you dig the clean, quick solid-state GK sound this may not be for you. If you like to maximize the GK growl with a bit of tube warmth than this is the ticket for sure.

2. This is a great statement and very accurate IMO.

Thanks for the review. I've played in a band context with mine and feel it's absolutely perfect.

Dan

3. Nice. Thanks for the real world review. I use a 2001 but of course as a GK fan some gas has set in. :)