1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK/GB/MB..Which small head/cab rig growls best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hizzoner, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    I am really interested learning as much as I can about the:

1. GK MB2-500
    2. LMII
    3. GB Shuttle 6.0

and a properly matched lightweight powerful speaker cab to boot..(also waiting to hear the new Acoustic USA cabs when they become available)

Have read the previous mega threads on each of the above heads and have some opinions about the products out there...all seem great and have their proponents..

but wondered specifically if anyone had experience getting a super growly tone out of any of the three...and what cab they used?

I tend to play very bright steel roundwound strings on my Jazz and can get a good growl out of my sansamp RBI but would like to get a small portable and powerful unit(not as a combo)..have to admit a real interest in the GK just due to the attention Mr. Gallien has paid to the board(Thanks for your time if you read this..greatly appreciated)...

Any opinions out there on growl as it relates to small lightweight rigs would be greatly appreciated..

Mark

2. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Hi Mark,

I own the LMII and the Shuttle. The LMII does not growl in any way, shape, or form. It's way clean.

The Shuttle has more high end sizzle and you can add a little fuzz in with a slight overdrive on the tube. It's more of a mild grit than a growl.

I tried the GK MB2-500 at GC and it could definitely get some of the aggressive GK sound to it with the boost knob, but it had a lot of lows I had to dial out.

What bass are you playing? Perhaps you should start with your fingers and technique and then consider a good Jazz bass, Warwick, or MM to get the growl. Of course, this is IMHO. :)