1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK GLX 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by quail, Aug 23, 2007.

1. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    any one have any experience with the new gk cabs in the musiiansfriend and american musical catalogs? the 4x10 with the gold speakers and the bottom ports... says it will hit 30hz...thats almost ampeg 410hlf territory...(ignore that im not comparing a 900 dollar ampeg to a 300 dollar gk)... but anyway the ab sounded decent through an equally cheap 450 watt behringer head and pretty good but a little flat through an ampeg b2r...
    i tried a backline 250 and hated it

i dunno just lookin for some advice or experience from anyone that has anything relevant to say...

righ now im playing through a 75 watt 12" peavey combo and cant keep up with a drum set... i need something substantially louder, but im not ready to shell out money for an svt3 pro and a 410hlf .. hopin to stay in the 600 dollar range and was impresesed by the gk cab ...anyone else?

here is a link to the one im talking about...
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Goldline-4x10-Bass-Cabinet?sku=486511

2. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    bump

3. I am curious about that cab also. Hopefully we will get some feed back. I have heard some people complain about them blowing speakers.

4. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I owned one of these until recently. It's a pretty solid cab, especially for the price. It has a pretty solid low end, though 30 Hz seems like a stretch. Pair it with an adequately powered head and you will easily be able to keep up with a drummer.

The drawbacks that I noticed, which lead me to sell it as part of what I am calling "The Great Gear Churn of '07," were:
    1) first and foremost this cab is heavy -- about 100lbs -- even though I'm relatively young and fit (29, 5'11", 170 lbs) it got to be a pain in the butt to haul around.
    2) no tweeter -- works for some -- doesn't work for me

If you can live with those things, then it's a good deal. I would recomend buying it locally (if that's an option) since you will probably pay less in sales tax than MF will charge you for shipping. Even better if you can find a used one locally.

5. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    yeah i would get it at a GC they even said theyd match MF prices the store had it for 400 but no one at the store would reccommend it to me... i guess it doesnt matter as long as i like it...

i talked to the sales reps at GC and told them ive played backline cabs and thought they were **** imho... and ive been tryin out these goldlines and was pretty surprised ... at this point the reps would agree with me and say yeah they are a pretty big step forward but not what you would get from a better GK cab with a horn etc... and then i asked this big question... will this be sufficient to hear over a set of drums... and everyone in 3 stores cringed... and wouldnt tell me yes so im a little hesitant... i honestly love the way the goldline speakers in the 410 cab sounded through the backline 600 head... im just a little weary if i should buy a better cab and get more sound out of it... or a stronger head which really only leaves me with the ampeg b2s or the behringers for lack of $... quite a pickle...

6. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    i am also intimidated in buying the backline 600 head because i know how little i liked the back line cabs... maybe its something in the line... i also like they make the 400rb-IV which would fit it perfect because it isnt bi-amped and the ab has no horn... if i bought this for the 4x10 the head is rated 280 watts... but this is at 4 ohms i believe and the cab is at 8 so wouldnt i then be going with even less power... everyone at every guitar center seemed to believe the magic number for watts is around 800 to a 1000 to keep up with a ddrum kit

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    The "magic number" is meaningless without good cabs.

I've never tested the Goldline cabinets at loud volumes, but with enough power, I don't doubt their ability to compete with a set of drums.

As for the Backline 600... it's a surprisingly good head. Look up fdeck's review and discussion of EQing a "flat voicing"; it's very informative. It's definitely the "diamond in the rough" of the Backline series.

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I used a Backline 600 to power my 410glx -- at 8 ohms that's 180 watts and that is plenty of power to be heard over a drummer. You can always add a second cab if you need more volume (300 W @ 4 ohm). 800 - 1000 watts -- they're just trying to get you to spend more money.

Check people's profiles and see how many folks around here are using 1kW or more, and ask those who don't if they can be heard.

IMO you only need about 100 W to keep up with a drum kit. At about 300 W you have enough power to play most gigs without PA support, and if you were to play a room that requires more than 300 W you will usually have PA support.

9. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    well thats re-assuring... i also found a used ampeg b2r for 300 bones i wonder if i could talk that down some since it is used id snatch it up on the spot for 250...300 ill buy something new instead of used

10. I second the recommendation for the Backline 600. I love that amp so far. G or K, who ever the the designer is, said that the backline 600 was a 400rb made in china.

11. AndretheBassist

AndretheBassist

Jul 12, 2007
    well 100w WILL let you get heard over a drum kit, I had some issues with that...

I had a fender 100w rumble 1x15 which was great and loud and i could hear my low-end over the drummer, but his bass drum drowned out my definition like a tambourine next to a crash cymbal. I'm getting the Backline 600 with 2x10 GLX and 1x15 GLX cabs. I played it in Guitar Center and was surprised at how loud and crisp it was. I was expecting a piece of **** for only $225 a cab but it really did get you by. And I was keeping it turned down low, so as not to drown the others in the place out lol

If you're looking to hear yourself over a drummer, I would suggest at least 100 watts but make sure you got something smaller than a 15" to accompany the 1x15", or else you might not be able to make your notes out clear enough without using a pick....idk though, I got a REALLY loud drummer lol. I'm just talking from personal experience.

12. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    I bought a GLX 410 and a GK 400rb and Im pretty pleased with it, my only issue is that the lows arent amazing, but for the $300 price tag I knew that wouldnt happen. Dont get me wrong, the lows are pretty decent. But hell for the price I was considering adding a GLX 115(assuming I like them when I test them)and selling my 400rg and getting a 700rb to run them through. Overall Im pleased with them, I drove one in the back of my truck for a friend and took a corner quick because I forgot it was in the back and it tubled over and it didnt even SCRATCH the thing, theyre built damn well from what Ive seen. But like someone previously posted, they are damn heavy cabs haha. The only reson Ill be getting rid of mine is because Im coming into some money soon and I have nothing better to spend it on so Im gonna either get rid of it and get a GK 212 Neo and 700rb or just at the GLX 115 and 700rb
    If I decide to part with it Ill be glad to cut you a deal on it if youre interested!