GK Goldline head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ampeg SVT, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    The other day while i was at GC checking out some of the deals (and picking up a brand new Fender DLX American Jazz for $1k) I checked out the new little brochure they had there and when i went to the bass section it had a picture of a new GK I had never seen before.

It was a Gk Goldline 500 head, it's a companion to the GLX cabs that GK has been offering and it looks a lot like the Fusion, except the Grill that has the GK logo is now Gold to match the Gold speaker cones.
    I also remember it having Tube emulation and to be around $500.

Edit: I checked the Guitar catalog and its pretty much a normal GK with a 4 band eq and the GIVE (valve simulation) boost technology. Its also got 500 SS watts and it looks cool.

2. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

Never heard of this amp before. :help: I also thought the GLX series has already been discontinued. :meh: Maybe I am wrong on that though.

3. Doughd54

Doughd54 I wanna rock. rock.

Nov 30, 2006
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    I saw this in the newest Guitar Center mail out. It bares a huge resemblance to the fusion. Kinda like asking for a dog and getting a hamster.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm trying to figure that out. In checking reviews for the G-K GLX 410 I bought last weekend, it's really hard to find much that's not on the Guitar Center website....although there is a bit of speculation about whether the Goldline stuff was discontinued.

G-K doesn't list the Goldline series or amps or cabs on their web pages, but they're well featured on the GC website, and there is no indication they're being closed out or discontinued.

Maybe G-K is making the Goldline series specifically for GC?

5. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    GK's website hasn't been updated in years, so I never trust it. I think that's where the rumors of the goldline being discontinued come from: people don't see them on the website and think they must be discontinued.

But that's just a guess, and I may be completely wrong. But I still never trust the website ...

Cheers,
    Liam

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Actually, yes, that's my understanding... it's a GC-exclusive line.

I've never heard of this head before... but the description likens it to a Backline 600.

That "tube emulation" is actually G.I.V.E., GK's FET alternative to tubes. It's in all of their heads, and has been since the 800RB, IIRC. So it's nothing new.

What I'm curious about is the control scheme for this head, and its outputs... the blurry photo gives little help in this regard.

Attached Files:

7. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i got that mailer and i saw that head too, i thought it was possibly a renaming of the 'fusion 500' at first, and then i read the description.

@"...the perfect head for goldline cabs..."

so i guess it is a totally different beast. it looks like the goldline head is built in a similar chassis to the fusion head (sort of how the backline heads are in the last versions of the 1001rb IIs chassis)

maybe it is a gc exclusive like the cabs. i thought the goldline cabs were gone too?

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Can't be - I bought a 410 GLX at GC for $259 last weekend. I really like the sound!

GK410GXL-quarterview.gif

Also, they are shown on their website and in their stores.

9. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    my meaning was that i thought that the goldline cabs were discontinued because GC seemed to blowing out the stock hey had which often means GC are not reordering any new ones or the item is discontinued by GK. don't know?

i really did want to like the goldline cabs because they had things i am into:

no horns, ported (2x10, 4x10, 1x15)
    no horn sealed (8x10) ala ampeg.

...but i have sworn off cabs that have the rat furr carpet. toltex is the way.
    also i actually didn't like the look of the goldline's gold coloured aluminum vs. silver coloured coned aluminum in hatkes. i guess they could of made the speaker cones any color they wanted. i think red might of looked cool.

when i tried the goldlines out, there were only 2 that i liked soundwise: 8x10 (not bad at all) and the 2x10 (good for a 2x10). i thought the 4x10 and the 1x15 were a bit lackluster. but in the end, these cabs inch by inch dollar for dollar can't hold up to the neo cabs i have.

10. Ampeg SVT

Sep 9, 2006
    I liked the 810 with a 1001RBII
    I dont own it personally.

It will be interesting to see how these are, even though its nothing really new.

11. Jaytron

Jaytron

Nov 1, 2007
    I played one today @ GC. At first glance i thought it was a Fusion. If you like GK stuff then you will like the Goldline head. I'm not very fond of the goldline speakers. Plugged it through a GK neo 410/115 rig and it sounded really good. It was only like $449 for the head, too bad it's alot heavier that the Markbass LMII I'm really GAS'n for.

12. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    It's just a GK Backline head covered in gold. Dunno what appeal it would have...

13. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    my band was on the road in oklahoma, and i played the goldline head at the oklahoma city guitar center. it was plugged into a 810glx.

the head was decent looking, i like the cosmetics.

it sounded like a GK head maybe a bit murkier. it had two channels (with seperate gains) that didn't seem too different from each other. like most GK heads (except for maybe the 800rb) it sounded best with lots of headroom vs. input gain. the distortion was pretty nasty in a bad way. i liked the backline 600 better.

i usually like the 810glx, but the one on the sales floor didn't sound so good.

it was pretty cheap, and may be a decent mid-level head.

14. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    The South Austin GC has one of the GK Gold Fusion 500s in. I played it today.

I just sold my 1001RB-II and took my 800RB into the shop for repair...

The price seemed nice. The guy working there didn't know much about the amp, as they just got them in the other day. He also didn't know anything about the Fusion 550. "Hadn't heard of that one. I don't think they make those..." he said...

I thought that maybe the 500 was just a rebadged 550... I figured it was tube pre-amp (that's what the guy working there said anyway)... but I didn't see any tubes glowing inside (was busy playing it more than looking at it).

I thought it sounded great for less than $500. However, it's big and heavy... not what I was in for. I ended up walking out with a Little Mark II, but I liked the sounds I got out of the Gold Fusion 500 a lot more.

Since my amp's in for repair, I thought I'd try something new, and will likely take the Mark II back before my 30 day return policy is up. I needed to find something ASAP as a band asked me to come try out tonight.

I was really looking for a GB Shuttle 6.0, but they don't carry those at either Austin store (according to the guy working the bass area). I may have to check a few other stores and compare before I decide for sure.

Anyway, back to the Fusion Gold 500 (not even sure what the "real" name of this amp is)... It's GK USA designed but made in China. Had (that I remember) -10db cut switch, mute switch, an input gain knob, Bass, High Mid, Low Mid, and treble knobs, contour knob, channel select switch, boost knob, and channel A and Channel B master volume knobs.

Looking at the picture of the chassis, it looks like the same enclosure, just with a different grill color and logo on the front (forgot what it said).

On the back (that I remember), there was channel select switch input, effects loop, tuner out. There's no bi-amp on this amp... So, that's why it's only a "500" instead of a "550".

I'd like to know the details on the design, if it's the same design (i.e. tube pre-amp) and 500 watts, it's a good deal... Time will tell if the "made in China" sticker has any effect on the durability of the amp. I couldn't care less where it's made, and would never use the bi-amp feature anyway. there are also no motorized knobs to go bad on this amp either. (The channel select doesn't really seem as useful - I guess it's for a more distorted tone as opposed to a completely different EQ and volume or whatever setting with the 550). So, if I could get a Fusion 550 for half the price with the features I wouldn't need/want, then it'd be a good deal.

Like I said though, I went home with a LMII because I'm looking for small, portable, and powerful (only played it a few hours at my audition, and I pulled it out of the box when I got there). I actually want to compare the LMII to the GK MB2-500... I have become a fan of GK products, and that seems like what I'm really looking for...

BTW, I played the Gold Fusion 500 through a GK 4x10 neo cabinet, and tried a variety of different basses. They had a marcus miller Fender Jazz bass that sounded great through that setup. I tried it through the LMII and Mark Bass 410 cab too, but liked the sound through the GK 500 better...

15. Ampeg SVT

Sep 9, 2006
    SS only

16. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    I dig my GK Goldline 500. The salesperson never told me they were made for GC. I took my cab and bass to GC and tried Markbass LMII, Ampeg Svt 4pro and GK. I was using an Eden Wt800 amp with Schroeder 210212 cab. It was loud, but just couldn't feel the warmth & rumble. It was too clean for me. I play R&B, Hip-Hop & Gospel and I want to feel "BOOM!" The Markbass sounded like wt800 through my cab. The Ampeg was nice, but had to many knobs to mess with to get tone. The GK was simple straight to the point and used less volume than ampeg to get cab to move air. This amp KICKS!!
    I don't care if you pay $1000.00 or $500.00 for an amp, at the end of the night it's all about what makes your sound work. I love my GK Goldlie 500 and putting the eden up for sale. Peace! DigLo

17. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    That made me laugh out loud....

18. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Latest Musicians Friend has that amp advertised as well.

19. jjsflyingbass

jjsflyingbass

Sep 2, 2008
    I actually own this head, and it hasnt served me wrong yet. If you have any questions feel free to message me and i will answer with the best of my knowledge.

Gospel Bass Player likes this.
  20. The mythology about tubes is just that. SS (transistors) replaced them, people, back when my dad was a little boy. He's an electrical engineer, Ph.D. Retired MIT Prof. Specialty? Acoustics and hearing. His verdict Re this tube vs. SS "debate?" It goes like this: "There is no reason to buy tube when you've got SS--the sound associated with either does not differ, and too many variables figure in the construction of amplifiers and speakers anyhow, so stop wasting your time: The only difference of note between tubes and transistors is that, w/tubes, you have the dubious privilege of working with relic technology."

Long Live Solid State!

Gospel Bass Player likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021