1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK Growl?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phsycobass, Jun 16, 2007.

1. phsycobass

phsycobass

Jun 12, 2007
    Canada
    Hey, i'm looking at getting a new head and thought i'd try some GK gear. I tried out the 700rb and the 1001rb and both sounded good. I just couldn't find the famous growl that i'm suposed to hear. Can someone tell me how to get it.. or describe it to me? thanx

2. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    From my experience GK amps and inheretntly bright and with lots of mids. The sound is a little sterile for me bit it has a clean and aggressive sound that also is very apealing. It also depends on the cab you use. With and Ampeg cab for instance the sound wil be darker but very powerful, on the other side, with an SWR or a cleaner sounding cab the sound is much more clear and the GK agressiveness shows up more IME.

Start by setting the amp flat and DONT use the contour preset which cut your mids. The boost the low mids and hig mids a little and play with the BOOST knob. I always cut the treble since GK are super trebly for my tastes. They do sound very good, are light, powerful, reliable and very inexpensive.

This is about all I can say right now:smug:

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    From a technical standpoint, the growl comes from mild distortion in the boost circuit. Basically you are just overloading one section of the amp, so you can get more growl by increasing the boost knob, the input gain, or both.

4. danis

danis

Jun 7, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    It is very easy to get the GK growl but it needs some volume to understand how it really sounds.
    I just crank the Boost knob at around 2-5 o'clock and increase the preamp vol past 12 o'clock ,till 2-3 sometimes if i want it really nasty.
    When i get louder i back off a bit both the pre and boost and increase the main volume.

Just play basically with those two knobs (PRE-BOOST) and you'll be able to hear it.

5. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Can the 'growl' be made to sound like a Chris Squire tone?

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021